Why can I not use my laptop in battery mode?

Hendry September 5, 2010

My laptop cannot turn on unless it is plugged into AC power. For some reason, when I check the battery level (after I logged on) it says 77% and fully charged.

My laptop is Acer Aspire 4810T, Windows Vista.

1. Hendry

I went to the service center.

The people there checked it and said that the battery's not broken.
    It's the battery's firmware which was problematic, and they updated it.

Now it works well.

Thank you for the update Hendry!

Hendry,

Check out the best answer on this yahoo Answers thread. Worth a try.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090811145914AAbVGaL

3. Hendry

Just tried both solutions you offered. Did not work. It still says "plugged in, not charging"

Thanks for suggesting, though.

4. Hendry

About 1 or 2 months, I don't remember. Yes, it worked before.

It does not recharge at all now. It always says "plugged in and not charging" when the AC power is plugged in.

The battery level also drops little by little over time. When I turned it on yesterday, it says 78%, today it's 77%.

Yes, i checked the battery and the port. No damages and it connects properly.

Thanks for your suggestion! I'll try that in a few days.

• portico1970

Hi.
      If using Windows 7, remove ACPI Battery in Administration and reboot.
      If it doesn't work: shutdown laptop, remove battery, turn on laptop and, before loading Windows plug again battery.

Hendry,

for how long has this been going on? What happened? Did the battery ever work?

Does it recharge when the AC power is plugged in and does it ever stop recharging? Your description isn't clear.

Did you check whether there is any physical damage to the battery or the port on the laptop? Maybe it cannot connect properly.

Take the battery to a store and ask them to try it in another laptop. This way you can find out whether it's a problem with the battery or your laptop. I would guess that the battery is broken.

Please let us know whether this information helped and how you solved the problem in the end. Thank you!