What is the best laptop for a 12 year old girl?

Lewis August 27, 2010

What do you think would be the best laptop (well netbook) for a 12 year old girl? She says that she wants it to be pink and have a web cam. lol

I want a netbook thats sub £300 with a web cam, preferably pink, that has quite a lot of battery and good enough to be able to run word etc.

Just a basic pink netbook, any suggestions?

1. Julian

I'm 12 (girl) and I need to find a computer with a cam but not pink but blue. Pink is to weired don't exagerate with the pink cuz if she won't like it I'll have to return it wich is a bumer. Try to find only the front and base pink not the whole thing.

2. Dayna D'Antonio

i want a laptop for christmas but i want a Gateway. they are about like 400-700$

3. Victor Bishop

From a PC Tech's viewpoint I can tell you that the HP Minis are very durable and have many colors and designs to choose from as Ryan said. As far as functionality goes though, the aforementioned brands will all pretty much give you about the same bells and whistles (a few USB hubs, Built-In WiFi, WebCam, etc..). Get as much RAM as possible to make it run faster. Just make sure when you get your NetBook that you immediately create a bootable USB StickPendrive containing your Operating System in case of viral infections or accidents! Also, if she decides not to use Windows as her OS of choice, there are plenty of equal (if not better) Distributions out there to choose from, my favorite being Jolilicloud, because it was designed specifically for Netbooks. Most likely the Netbook will be packaged with Windows and tons of "Bloatware" (Trial Offers, Demos, etc.) bogging your poor little Netbook down. To remedy that install and run a tool called "PC Decrapifier" which does a good job of cleaning out that junk you don't need! (Unless you want it of course) :) How fun, I love seeing people getting new toys! lol. Anyway, Good Luck and return here for any more help.

4. Lewis

Thanks for all the brilliant answers! Will decide what one soon as its her birthday a week today, just need to check with my wife

5. Ryan Dube

I'd suggest HP Mini - my wife bought one and loves it. They have some pretty funky/unique colors now too...you should show your daughter the pink plaid one, she might fall in love. :-)

6. Steve Campbell

Honestly, the cheapest one made by a brand you've heard of. No netbook is going to blow you away as far as power and performance to begin with, and since she's 12, you might as well just focus on finding a pink one with positive user reviews on CNET or BestBuy.com :-)

7. Jessica Cam W.

You could also check out MakeUseOf's Tech Deals page to see if there are any deals for those netbooks that Josh mentioned.

8. Josh Fox

An Acer Aspire One or Asus EeePC are among the best from my experience. They both offer about the same features, including multiple color choices along with decent performance. Built-in webcams and microphones are fairly standard as well.