What kind of video files can I play on my TV?
Question by john palmer /

What file format would I need to download films in if I want them to work on my TV via a USB drive?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

if the movies are not in supported format just try to convert with freewares like
    Hamster
    http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Hamster-Free-Video-Converter-Review-149367.shtml

also check the size of the external drive that your TV can support, some works with usb keys and not with hard drives or with hard drives less then 150GB

Hello, as you are the only one that knows what brand of TV and model you have, your best option is to check on manual for your TV.  By default, most TVs play .avi and .divx.  There are some TVs, that also play .mkv and mp4.  Tell you what, if you give us the brand name and model, we could find out for you.  Also if you give us that information, we could find the manual if you do not have it.  Keep in mind that for your TV to recognize a USB drive, it has to be formatted in FAT32.

xvid avi files are tested. Check my answer here:
    it will also tell you how to convert movies.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/movies-played-external-drive-skip/#comment-347664160
    if your tv does not support a movie file, you can convert into a compatible file format.

but before that,
    make sure:
    your tv supports playing video from usb.
    and your flash drive is in fat file format.