What keyboard shortcut do I use to switch between windows on a Mac?
Question by newrum /
Ads by Google

I really need to find a way to switch between windows within the same program from the keyboard. For example I have two or more documents open in Word and have to copy-paste from one to another numerous times. So switching from one window to the other is really pain.

In Windows Alt+Tab does that but on a Mac, this combination only switches between programs, not windows. Do you know a keyboard shortcut for this? Thank you!

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Join live MakeUseOf Groups on Grouvi App Join live Groups on Grouvi
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
249 Members
Mac Troubleshooting
Mac Troubleshooting
104 Members
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
85 Members

Comments for this Question are closed.

Answers (19)
  • Anish Parameshwaran

    Switching between windows of the same app: Cmd+ ` (right above the Tab key)
    Switching between tabs in safari, chrome and other browsers: Ctrl+Tab

  • Newrüm

    You should go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard shortcuts. On the left there is "Keyboard & Text Input". When you click that, you'll see "move focus to next window" line on the right. Click on the symbols and then change it as you wish :)

  • Vivek Kumar Yadav

    I had this exact issue when I first switched over, and to tell you the truth I almost kicked myself when I realised what the shortcut was.
    It’s Command+` (the tilde “~” key above Tab)

  • Ramón García

    Command + Tab

  • Anonymous

    With an experienced Apple tech, you might be able to change the response of the keys to the English language.
    In response to your question about changing windows within one program, I find that Cmd-tab brings up program options only. On the menu bar, under Window, you will see a list of the windows you have open. You might see numbers although I doubt it. If the numbers are there, you use Cmd-1 etc. Otherwise you can choose your window from the list. It's not the best work-around, but I would tend to have the windows open and overlapping so that I can simply choose a border with a touch/click. The cmd+ tilde is also an excellent answer and perhaps the simplest so have you tried the equivalent key on your keyboard bearing another symbol, or the tilde which appears to be next to the Z.

    • Newrüm

      Thanks for this idea Gillian! I changed keyboard shortcut and ta-daa it's done :)
      Thank you again.

  • Adam Campbell


  • Anonymous

    Though we can use command + , or there is another option called parallel desktop which helps u to work on both the os together! :)
    Google it for further info!! cause i don't use mac!

  • dawnthetech

    The command and tab key allows you to switch between windows on a Mac

  • Bilal


  • Aditya Roy

    ? + ~
    Command-` (the Grave accent key)

Load 10 more
Ads by Google
New comment

Please login to avoid entering captcha

Log In