Is there a keyboard shortcut for the desktop toolbar in the Windows taskbar?

Tilman November 11, 2010

Is there a keyboard shortcut for the desktop toolbar link? It can be made visible in the Windows taskbar by right-clicking it and activating it in the toolbars context menu. You know, the thing which you can click in your taskbar if you have activated it to see a menu of all our files on the desktop. I love that feature in Windows because I always have a lot of Windows open and don’t want to minimize all (even with Win+D) just to open a file.

Now I would like to do that but without the mouse! Is there a way to do it? For instance, if I know that I have only one file on my desktop that starts with the letter x, then I want to press the shortcut for the desktop taskbar, press right if not possible otherwise (as in the start menu keyboard navigation), press x, and then enter to open that file.

If there is no keyboard shortcut for the desktop taskbar existing, is there a way to create one? I mean, I am sure that it is SOMEHOW possible, but do you know how? :) For instance, Autohotkey might be able to do it. Do you know how to script that? Or, do you know how I could program a macro (or a script?) for my keyboard (Logitech G19) which has a lot of G-keys (in addition to F-keys)? With Logitech’s software I can program unfortunately only macros for keys on the keyboard but not for mouse buttons :(

Hoping to hear a solution to my problem :)

Cheers,

Tilman

1. Tilman

Hi again.

I found a better workaround myself!! :) Well, this method is still using the mouse but it is so convenient that I might use it anyway =) I happened to double-click accidentally on the desktop toolbar, which expanded the whole list into the taskbar! As I have a big monitor - and as I have the taskbar vertically on the side of the screen, this works out perfectly! It lists all the files that I have on the desktop in the taskbar! This way, I don't even have click on the desktop menu but I can right away click once on the file that I want to open.

If you also have a big monitor - or only a few files on your desktop that you access frequently - I think you should try it out! :) You can also edit the settings by right-clicking somewhere within the desktop toolbar area (but not on a file) to customize the appearance. I am happy I found this trick!

thanks for the tip!

2. Tilman

Thanks, Tina, but that certainly is too cumbersome :( Anyway, good to know that shortcut for the taskbar in general, but I am still hoping that somebody would have an idea how to solve the problem in a better way...

The keyboard shortcut [WINDOWS] + [B] takes you to the taskbar. Clicking the [TAB] key will eventually open the desktop toolbar. Then you can enter the first letter of the file or shortcut you wish to access and it will automatically jump to it.

I'm sure there is a quicker way to access the toolbar. Let's see if anyone else knows it.