Why can I not use my keyboard or mouse when my Windows Vista computer wakes up from sleep mode?
Question by Melissa /

After computer comes out of sleep mode, keyboard is not recognized. Mouse will freeze and there is no way to shut down or reboot. I must shut down with on/off button. I am running Windows Vista Home. Help please!!!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Sara

My computer screen turned to a white tint and I can’t click anything so I can restart it!
    Please help!

• Susendeep Dutta

Check whether the cables of your monitor are loose or not.Also,try cleaning the connectors of your cable monitors.

You can restart your PC by pressing restart button present at the CPU.

• Johnnyimpossible

I’m having the same issue… while in sleep mode, if I wake it, the light on the tower shows that it has come out of sleep mode and I can hear the hard drive, but I have nothing showing on my monitor… It’s like the monitor is getting no signal. If I turn off the computer and power up, all is well again.

• Jammie21

My Keyboard AND mouse are not working on my HP windows 7 PC.. How can I navigate my computer without a keyboard?!!!!

Jammie,

I suggest that you ask a new question. Please use the respective link in the top left of the MakeUseOf Answers page. Thank you!

Melissa,

Any updates on the issue? Did you try recommendations provided above?

Aibek

Hello, adding the information that it is a ps/2 keyboard/mouse changes the equation. Have you tried doing the following?

— start
    — type device manager on search bar
    — press enter
    — enter password if any
    — Find and expand the keyboard entry
    — Right click, select properties
    — Select Power Management
    — Uncheck entry: Allow computer to turn off this device to save power
    — Check mark entry: Allow this device to bring computer out of standby
    — Find the entry for mouse
    — Apply the same steps

enable ‘USB Legacy Support” in the BIOS

or

Device Manager – under Blootooth radios click Blootooth devices and then open POWER MANAGEMENT where deactivate “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”-button.

or
    1.If you have changed your default power plans, you may reset them back to their default settings by entering in cmd.exe “powercfg -restoredefaultschemes” and press Enter

A USB device may no longer work correctly after Windows Vista resumes from sleep or from hibernation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928631/en-us

Also check if Windows reports any problem devices
    •First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
    •Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    •Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?

Hello, you can also try the following steps:

— start
    — type device manager on search box
    — enter
    — find heading USB Hub device
    — Highlight USB Hub Device and right click
    — Choose properties
    — Go to power management tab
    — Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
    — Do this steps for every USB Hub Device

Is your keyboard using USB, if it is your USB ports are not waking up with Windows.

Follow these steps:

1. Goto Control Panel

2. Goto Power Options

3. Change Power Plan

4. Change Advanced Settings

5. USB Setting >> USB selective suspend setting>> change setting to diabled

See if this works for you.

• Melissa

keyboard and mouse are dedicated, not usb

by dedicated you mean PS/2 correct? (round connector)

Who made the machine and what model computer is it?

• Melissa

My desktop is HP Pavilion a6230n, x86, AMD Dual Core 5600 running Vista Home Premium with sp2, with ps/2 kbd and mouse.
      According to device manager all are operating properly with no problems. I have not let computer go to sleep, so all is ok.