What is the best keyboard app for Android?

Gillian December 15, 2010

The regular old keyboard for Android is pretty terrible to try and type with. So what’s the best alternative app that I can download to replace the pre-installed keyboard?

1. Voncrane

My personal preference and that of several thousands out there would be "Better Keyboard Pro"..Its highly customizable and i'm not just talking abt custom words..it also allows you to perform certain tasks via swiping horizontally or vertically across d keyboard, or replacing certain "shorthand" words with d full word (e.g. if configured, typing "c u ltr" can be auto replaced with "see you later" etc)..it's got tons of other features..so go check it out.
    P.S. its dictionary (be it English or any other available language dictionary pack) requires a separate installation.

2. SteveTheOcean

I like Swype. I have a beta copy; I'm not sure if it is publicly available yet.

I also tried 8pen. It, too, seems pretty neat but it is a completely new keyboard model: no QWERTY keyboard, letters are chosen by tracing patterns. It looks like it could be pretty fast once one gets over the learning curve.