Why is a key on my keyboard not working?
Question by Kathy /

Why won’t the 1/exclamation point key on my keyboard work?

• Bellabing

HELP… the exclamation point on my laptop won’t work…. when i pressed down the SHIFT key and 1 digit number the exclamation point won’t work, but other upper keys such as.. (@#$%^&*_+) works well except for the exclamation point. no. 1 is sometimes hard to press and sometimes easy, it displays multiple no. like these 11111111 in just one pressed. I wonder what was the problem, is it the program device? or the keyboard preferences. Are you guys have any solution for this problem? Your answers are much appreciated. Thank you.

can you uninstall keyboard driver, reboot and let windows to reinstall a frsh one. You can also unplug it and shutdown computer the reboot and replug.

with these soft you can remap the keys. 30days free trial
      PassMark KeyboardTest

on windows run type: sticky keys
      see if you can do something from there

try pressing press the Shift key fives times

• smayonak

It’s not a fix, but here’s a handy work-around for a damaged keyboard: try using a software keyboard.
      http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Win-7&faq=14 It basically brings up a digital keyboard on screen. You can use the mouse to enter data.Aside from allowing you to use a broken key (by using your mouse to enter missing characters), the on-screen keyboard can provide strong protection against hackers, if you use it to enter sensitive information.

Keyboards aren’t my thing, but I get the sense that this is an electrical/mechanical problem. I’ve seen issues with keyboards where individual keys have gone bad – the culprit usually is related to junk that accumulates beneath the keyboard keys.

However, there is a possibility that you have a virus, which is attempting to somehow access the keyboard.

• Suudd5

How do it switch keys as I previously had problems with my @ key and I have replaced my keyboard with a brand new one and the problem is still occuring which means that to get the @ key I have to press shift+2 as opposed to the usual shift+”, i.e. the key on the keyboard that shows the @ now types in “.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Tony M.

When it comes to keyboard care in general, one technique I prefer is vacuuming vice using compressed air. I have no proof I’m correct, but I tend to think that using compressed air might possibly blow some debris under the key mechanism, thereby affecting key movement and/or the connection needed to record a keystroke.

hey in my key board alt key is not working can any one help???

both the key were working b4 but 4m last month it stoped working all other keys r working fine except alt key plz help…..

did you follow the tips above? If they didn’t help you, maybe it’s time to exchange the keyboard. If this is a laptop keyboard that is of course a little more complicated.

I recommend that you post a new question and describe what kind of keyboard it is that you are using and what you have already tried to fix the key.

• Saptashwa

It happens a lot with me. I usually hit the key hard a couple of times, and it works fine. I need to get a new keyboard actually. But you can fix yours (as I have done a lot of times), by opening the screws, taking off the back cover. You will reach a translucent plastic-like sheet. Take it off (don’t force though, there’ll be a flap, just open it, and take it off gently). Take care as this is the chip-equivalent of keyboard. It makes all your keys work. Now there’ll be small caps on all the keys (their back-side actually). Due to heat, these may have been stuck to the plastic-like sheet and may fall off. Replace them in their original locations. Even if they haven’t fallen off, just take off one and again place it. Do this one by one. Take care to make sure that they are placed in their proper positions as many a times this not-working state works due to their dislocation.
    After it’s done, place the plastic-like sheet back on, taking care to keep it EXACTLY like it was, on the side it was. Then put the cover back on, and tighten the screws.
    If you have done everything correctly, it should be working fine again.

Try going Control Panel -> Regional Settings, Try changing your locale to Something Like Norweigan, Click Apply, then Switch back to English (UK)

• Kathyank

Thanks. I tried this but, unfortunately, it didn’t work.

maybe there are some crumbs stuck underneath the key that block it. Did you try to take it off and clean it? Saptashwa provided a good description of how to do it below.