Why do I keep getting logged out of MakeUseOf?

July 12, 2014

I get logged out all the time on your website. I signed up using my email, however, the instance I click on some link I get logged out.

Most websites where you get to log in, when you have done so all you need to do in tabs where you might have another page from that web site open is refresh and it notices you are logged in. This is the behaviour I expected. What I got is having to log in separately on every page I visit and I have to click outside of the login box. Then I can see in the top right corner, that I am logged in.

The first thing I did, when I signed up was of course to click follow on Twitter to get 50 points. Much good that did for me when I get logged out the instance I click a link … it did not register I followed on Twitter and so did not give me the 50 points.

I do not use AdBlock or any other similar kind of extension which might affect the behavior.

Anyone else experience this?

1. Joanna O

Follow up regarding the Twitter part. I found out that if you go to your login menu and click Activity you get a menu at the bottom of that page which have a Subscribe link.

Click the link and go to the bottom of the subscription page to find a Twitter button telling you to follow MakeUseOf. Click the button and follow — just unfollow and follow again if you are already following them. This gave me the 50 points.

Better yet, if you subscribe to the newsletter as well you get 250 points — this works even if you have subscribed before making a profile like I did. It tells you you will get an email with a link, but I never got one. I guess the system knows I already followed the link, he he.

:D

2. Alan W

Its a good question! I am a contributer and many many times I am logged out.

It sounds a lot like you disabled third-party cookies in your browser.

click on Safari > Preferences
    go to the Privacy tab and set "Block cookies and other website data" to 'Never'

• Joanna O

Apparently that was it, thank you :)

The other day I had to delete all my settings, extensions etc. from Safari because of another problem and I forgot, that this is the standard settings, he he.