Why does the Kane and Lynch 2 game throw a bugcheck (bluescreen) on startup?

Brian March 1, 2011

I receive a stop error c0000219 {fatal system error} “The system has been shut down” when K&L2:DD starts. I got the game from Steam, and every other game I have works fine (HL2 and variants, Far Cry, etc.).

I have done the Steam ‘verification’ which I believe is supposed to verify the game’s content. I’ve seen few ways to make this work, mostly OpenAL is mentioned, which hasn’t helped.

Specs: Windows XP Pro SP3, Ath64/3700+ (2.21GHz) 2GB RAM, GeForce 9400GT.

However complex, I can take your advice!

Brian,

were you able to fix the issues with the game following the advice given above? Please let us know how you did it or if you need more help. Thank you!

• hots

First of all, thanks for the advice! I know I have the latest NVidia drivers, with a caveat: This MSI Lanparty mobo was hard to identify w/out the original manual: NF4 series, which is the (well-aged) Nforce 4, so no 'new' drivers. Ath64/3700+, 2GB. Vid is GeForce 9400 GT, with latest. Funny, I use the SysReq plugin on Intel's site quite often, and have recommended the site... but didn't use it myself (and now will). SysReq says I meet/exceed specs. Tell me its not my TBeach SantaCruz! I really like this card's interface. Nothing I've found was so well done. I'll check DirectX and run a virus scan. .. have to find my original system disc to sfc. I'll post back when I get a chance. Thanks again for the help! PS: If you need a SIW report, no problem.

The Steam Game Cache Verification is pretty limited in it's abilities. It may detect problems but it often doesn't. Most of the time you will have to delete the local game files and re-download them via Steam.

However, this usually causes the game to (just) crash but not your entire system to bug check (BSoD). So, I agree with FIDELIS that there might be some problem with one of your drivers, DirectX or OpenAL.

I recommend to:
    1. update/reinstall your Graphics Driver
    2. download and install the latest DirectX package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d)
    3. reinstall the Games dependencies

You cand find them within
    ?:SteamsteamappscommonKane & Lynch 2
    There are either installers for things like OpenAL, etc. or they might be in a directory called dependencies or redist. This changes from game to game.

Hello, I would say that if you get this blue screen as soon as you start this game, you have a driver that is not compatible with it. Does your system have the recommended requirements to run this game? Go to the following link and check your system specs to see if you can run this game:
    http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

It could also be that you got a corrupted file when you got your game. If you downloaded this game, try to downloaded again and this time make sure to check your hash/checksum to see if the information matches.

I would also make sure to run full scans with your antivirus and antimalware to check for possible infections. If this error happens whether you are running this game or not you might have to run system repair. To run system repair you need your installation disk. Do you have an installation disk?
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Also you might want to try and run the system file checker. To do this, follow the next steps:
    -- start
    -- run
    -- cmd
    -- type sfc /scannow
    -- have installation disk ready in case it asks for it
    -- wait until tool finishes running

• hots

No hashsum is available on Steam (insofar as I know). Can anyone post the hash of what a 'proper' installation would be? I could then gen a hash of my own directories - assuming it gets rolled-out identically... If the other things I'm going to try fail, I'll drag this video card to another machine (also XPP) and see what happens.