Do I need to join the iPhone Developer Program if I hire a programmer to create an app for me?

MJ March 15, 2011

I have an amazing idea for an app for the iPhone! I don’t know anything about programming and have no desire to learn. I want to hire a programmer for that.

I know the process to get from idea to App Store is a few steps. One involves registering with the iPhone Developer Program and paying $99. Cool. But after the programmer creates the app for me, then what? Please help! Will I need to load into a Mac and then upload into iTunes for approval? I’m clueless! Gracias!

If you hire an developer this person should be familiar with the process and be able to help you through the entire process.

From what I know the steps after testing is done are:
    - create/request a distribution certificate via the Developer homepage
    - create a Distribution Provisioning Profile
    - compile the App using the distribution certificate
    - upload the App to iTunes connect
    - wait for Apples approval or deny

But any and all information about getting from Xcode to the App Store is documented at the Developer homepage.

As for your primary question:
      It depends on who you hire and if you trust this person/organization.

The App will be published on the App Store using the registered Developers information and in case you decide to make money with it this will also be accounted to the Developers account billing information.

So if you let your developer publish the App you only have as much control over everything as you have control over the developer.

• MJ

Thank you - makes lots of sense!

• MJ

Thank you!