Why does Java want to take possession of my hard drive, is this a virus?

amy brown January 15, 2011

Everytime I turn on my computer, a question appears. It asks me if I will allow JAVA to take possession of my hard drive. I used to say Yes since I did not know what was going on, but then I began saying NO and I cannot figure out why it asks in the first place. I did not notice any difference with either Yes or No.

Hi Amy,

We really need to see a screenshot of that message in order to be able to tell you something for sure. You may take a screenshot using PrtSc (PrintScreen) button on your keyboard. Then paste an image to an image editing program like Paint and save it.

I think she is talking about java updater. Once you install java, the updater runs in the background. It is better to turn autoupdates off, either through the java's properties or through msconfig. Actually, java is not a safe environment. There is nothing wrong with what the software does but the problem is it takes a long time for the java team to come up for updates for new vulnerabilities.

Hi
    there are some Java-based Trojan horse targets computer possible this is why you have this message.Trojans are malware that work by tricking the user into running them/installing them. Best to boot into safe mode and scan your pc with clamwin and malwarebytes antimalware.

Also run hijackthis, then save the log and see if you have some suspect services that runs with windows. Then use hijackthis to terminate that entry.

normally Java is one of the safest environments in existence. Uninstall your java then go to this link for update
    http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

When a user clicks the infected link, the trojan initially runs as a Java applet, which downloads other files to the computer, including an installer, which launches automatically. When run, the installer modifies system files to bypass the need for passwords, allowing outside access to all files on the system. he java component of the trojan horse is cross-platform, and includes other files that affect Mac OS X as well as Microsoft Windows. There have been reports of similar behavior in recent trojan horses targeting Microsoft Windows, but they have not included cross-platform capabilities until now. The trojan attempts to hide its internet communications and actions through obfuscated code spread through multiple files, and will attempt to contact additional command servers if the primary servers are unavailable.

4. Richard Carpenter

There is not enough info to tell. Can you take a Screen Shot of the prompt?