Why would I want to jailbreak my iPhone?

Monte Hill July 30, 2010

What is jailbreaking and what are the advantages? Has anyone successfully used a different service than AT&T on an iPhone? What are the disadvantages of jailbreaking your iPhone?

1. Zxcxv

Because once we jailkbreak our iphone , we can control it freely.you don't even go to the app store anymore,you can use many free apps what you want . So to a great extent, it can save us a lot of money and time. Here i can teach you how to jailbreak iphone 4 step by step.

you can use your iphone more freedom, and you don't go to the app store anymore,you can use many free apps what you want .but there is still risky. but for me,i am not afraid,
    so ,i jailbreak my iphone 4 ,it runs very well, combining my aneesoft iphone video converter ,my iphone 4 is perfect!

Advantages
    *Free Apps
    *Access to banned apps
    *More freedom
    *Actually Legal now

Disadvantages
    *May void your warrenty
    *Costs more if you don't jailbreak as you have to buy apps

4. nm

As long as you know what you're doing while you're jailbreaking it - I would definitely recommend going ahead with it. I had no choice because I bought mine in the US and wanted to use it in Egypt and I've been able to use it easily on other carriers using the unlock provided by the iPhone Dev Team - RedSn0w.

Like Jessica has said - there's a huge advantage as far as customising the phone and downloading apps that don't have to be approved by Apple.

One thing that I can do with my jailbroken iPhone 3G is toggle my data connection on and off which is great when you want to avoid a hefty phone bill. It can also allow you to multitask in OS 3.x without having to upgrade to 4.0 if you don't want to. I think the main disadvantage that I've personally experienced is that it has slowed my phone down a bit.

If you want to jailbreak - the most up-to-date tutorials can be found at iClarified http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&seid=2

5. Jessica Cam W.

Here's a very handy guide for starters. In short, advantages: More useful apps not available in the iTunes App Store and customization options. Disadvantages: Potentially bricking your phone.