Why is my jailbroken iPhone asking for a valid SIM?

Sajjad Kazmi February 11, 2012

I accidentally updated my jailbroken 3G iPhone (4.1) and as expected it went into recovery mode. I used Tiny Umbrella to get it out of recovery mode, no problem. But now the iPhone and iTunes are both asking me to insert a valid SIM (my SIM isn’t working any more). What can I do to fix this? Do I need to re-jailbreak my phone?

1. Sajjad Kazmi

Thanks guys for your support the problem is solved I re-jailbreak it :)

• JBizzle

I did the same thing and now it's asking for correct sim card. I can't figure out how to jailbreak it again... I used redsn0w but the process would start and I would get an error show up on my phone. What program did you use to jailbreak it? Also, how do I figure out what firmware to use?

A jailbreak is not a SIM unlock!

A jailbreak enables you to install third-party software e.g. from Cydia and do further modifications. It does not unlock your phone to use with all mobile providers.

If you only jailbreak your device you still need a SIM card from the provider it is locked to. Only if you unlock it [which usually requires a jailbreak] you can use it with any SIM card.

3. Ed

Yes, you need to jailbreak it again to unlock the phone. Remember, don't update iOS if your phone is jailbroken.

4. Karkala Nayak