Why won’t iTunes open?
Question by Linda /

I have Windows 7 and I can see iTunes but it won’t open. Any advice?

• Beedles6

All you have to do is uninstall quick time completely as this is what’s causing iTunes to not open.

START > CONTROL PANEL
    WinXP – Add n Remove Programs
    Win7/Vista – Programs n Features

Highlight QUICKTIME and click CHANGE then uninstall.

system restore to a point before the problem occurred when it was working fine.

• Tyler

Go to the start menu and type in task manager
    Then on the tab all the way yo the left I think it says applications go to that tab then right click on the iTunes.exe and click maximize and that will pull up iTunes to the front.

• C. Smith

The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now? WAAAAAAAAAA Help…. I tried downloading the new version and rebooting but nothing happened! =(

try dragging iTunes Library.itl to the desktop then starting
      iTunes. This causes iTunes to create a new library. If iTunes will not
      open then there is another problem.

some says by renaming the file iTunes Library found in My Ducuments/My Music/itunes folder to iTunes Library.itl can solve the problem.

i think there is a new release of itunes, just download the new verrsion and instal, hope will repair itunes quickly. You have to reboot after.

• Jeff

Hi Linda,

Did it work previously? It’s possible it is open or never closed due to a memory leak. Press CTRL + ALT + Delete and go to “Task Manager”. Then, in the processes tab make sure that “iTunes.exe” is not running. If it is, kill it and open it up again.

If it still isn’t working, see if reinstalling iTunes helps. Please follow the steps provided by JMT21

– Jeff