How can I keep my iTunes library from slowing down my Windows computer?

Michael August 26, 2011

Using iTunes to down 350+ movies to external 3TB hard drive and want to add more. Left iTunes library on my internal drive. This is slowing my computer down considerably. Is there a way to add more movies without slowing computer down?

you have to exclude from Virus scanner all directories in relation with Itunes
    I/E Itunes in C:program files, Itunes library in c:my documentsmy music and
    all music files on external hard drive.

There isn't really much you can do about slow iTunes and the CPU load. The problem is that iTunes stores and maintains all media information within a single XML file.

One of the few things you can take care of:
    1. make sure you have enough (free) RAM for iTunes
    2. deactivate all unnecessary media information rows (e.g. Description, Rating, whatever else you don't need)
    3. disable functions and services you don't need (e.g. Genius, Library sharing and searching, ...)

Other then that you just have to bear with iTunes being a poor performing media library (has always been).