Why is iTunes complaining there is not enough memory available on my new laptop?
Question by Bumferry /

I have just installed iTunes to my new Windows laptop and put all my music on. However, there are quite a large number of duplicates. I am deleting the duplicates bit by bit, but every so often iTunes pops up with the following message:

“The iTunes library file cannot be saved. There is not enough memory available.”

I do not know why this is, I have over 450GB of free memory on my hard drive to play with and 6GB of RAM (at the time, no other programs are being used). Once this message appears iTunes will almost always crash causing me to have to reopen it and find that most of the duplicates I have deleted are back.

Please can anyone help because im getting cramp in my fingers (and my brain!).

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• alex

same problem here man.i tried syncing movies from itunes to an iphone.suddenly my tons of gigs in my drive c was reduced to ZERO.i dont know where it goes.the iphone’s video is empty, the itunes folder does not contain any stored videos and i cannot reclaim the lost memory even after deleting itunes app and it’s folder locations.nobody’s helping me out until now, i need help.

• Elsie

If there’s a circled explanation mark (!) next to your songs it means that you don’t have the file saved elsewhere in your computer. Whenever you obtain new music you should always have it saved in an extra folder just for iTunes.

• Remy1

Don’t think this is the problem. I have all my music in files & when you check info it very clearly gives you the path to the file. I can move the file back into itunes
      & it will recpognize the song but then wiil find more songs that it can’t find that are also in the files. Still can’t figure out a fix though.

• Amanda Howell

I am having the same problem and have no idea how to help there, but I do know the exclamation mark means it can’t find the original file. I have deleted the downloaded song accidently by thinking it was a duplicate. I didn’t delete the song that was in the wrong format. If it’s not too late, pull it out of your trash bin. Hope that helps and makes sense.

• Susan

I am having a similar problem, except that 2/3 of my music can’t be played at all. I have recorded 4763 items, but many whole albums will show an explanation mark in front of the tracks. When I click on one of those itunes tells me it can’t find the music. I have tried deleting the defective albums and rerecording. Things look find and work for a while, and then I get the same error message and the album tracks no longer play. This is driving me crazy. I spent an entire week recording CD’s and most of them won’t play. Itunes has been updated, everything apple has been uninstalled and the latest version of itunes reinstalled. All of the Apple directions were followed explicitly, and the problem continues. I have Apple Care for my new ipod classic, and they won’t help me. They tell me the problem has to be solved by a tech who knows Windows 7. What the #+*@?

• Sabrina

I’ve had this happen a lot. From what I can tell, it seems that if you move a file after you have it synced to itunes, itunes can no longer find it. For example, if you rip a cd or something and save it to your desktop, then sync it with itunes, you can play your music. However, if you move it OFF of your desktop and into a file or something, itunes can no longer find it, so you get that warning. The notice should say “(title) could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to relocate it?” If you don’t want to go to all the trouble of re-downloading, click yes and it will give you the option to browse through your computer. Find where your music, etc, files are stored, and find the track in question. This will update the pathway in itunes; it will also ask if you want to search for other files that can’t be found. Clicking “yes” will generally update pathways for all music by that artist, but won’t do it for all your files. It can be very time-consuming, but not as time consuming as re-downloading/ripping. If you have a lot of singles, I’d recommend putting them all in one file on your computer and putting them where you want them, then deleting them from itunes and re-syncing them. In short, make sure you have all of your files where you want them before syncing with itunes, and remember that if you ever move them, itunes won’t know where to find them, so you’ll have to show the pathways all over again. Hope this helps, if you’re still having problems.

• Rahul Kumaar

It is possible that duplicates are being created due to sync if your system is connected to a home network. Try to check by turning off Home Sharing if you are connected on a home network

• ferdinan Sitohang

uninstall your itunes, delete the folder which related to itunes, restart your laptop, download new installer, and then install it. To add your music into your itunes library, you do it by add folder to your library. it will cont create duplicate entry for you

hold down the Option key while starting iTunes and create a new library. You will have to re-import your music and you will most likely have to re-authorize your computer to play songs/videos purchased from the iTunes Music Store.

try to delete temp files in the Itunes folder

1.Navigate to the directory in which iTunes is installed
    2.Right lick on iTunes.exe and select “Properties”
    3.Under the Security tab, select “Edit”
    4.Under “Group or user names,” select your user name (or if your user name isn’t there, select “Add” and add it
    5.Make sure “Full Control” is checked under “Permissions for…”
    6.Click “Apply”

• Alan Wade

Is your hard drive partitioned? If so where is your iTunes library, on the ‘C’ drive or one of the partitions?

• Bumferry

Theres no partition on the C drive (that im aware of), The laptop is brand new, less than a week old and there is more free memory than i know what to do with. Will have a check, but im pretty sure there’s no partition. thanks though.

• Susendeep Dutta

Did you tried updating iTunes? This might have caused due to recent June 2012 update.If possible,try getting previous version of iTunes and installing it –

• Bumferry

Will try reinstalling i-tunes and report back if that helps.