Why is iTunes causing Windows to crash?

Zach October 6, 2011

Every time I try to launch iTunes, my computer freezes up, and the only way to fix it is to restart using the power button. I tried completely uninstalling iTunes, registry entries and all, then re-installing it, but I still have the same problem.
Any help?

Hello, you could try uninstalling itunes completely and then install a previous version of the program

Please create a new user on your system, then launch iTunes when logged into that new user. Is the problem fixed with the new user? (If so, respond so we can troubleshoot that issue)

Next, make sure that your anti-virus or firewall aren't blocking iTunes from starting. You'll want to add an exception to them for the iTunes process if one doesn't already exist. You must also have the "iTunes Helper" object enabled to startup with Windows. To check, go to Start -> Run/Search: "msconfig" and press enter. Then go to the "Startup" tab and make sure "iTunes Helper" and "qtTask" are enabled. 

You mentioned that you re-installed iTunes, but you must also make sure that quick time is properly installed. You can install Quick Time here. Then be sure that you're properly re-installing iTunes by reading this document. When you re-install, you must also remove configuration files.

Then go to Start -> Run/Search: "cmd.exe" and press enter. Then type each line below, separately (each line is a different command):

regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
    regsvr32 /s mssip32.dll
    regsvr32 /s initpki.dll

Finally, check your drivers for updates. Once you've done all of this, reboot your computer and see if it works. If it doesn't, remember to tell me if creating a new account helps. You can also try starting iTunes while disconnected from the internet (to see if it's stuck on a thread connecting). 

Source: Apple Support