Why isn’t the sound working on my Toshiba Satellite A305?

Ragu P October 10, 2014

I have a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6909 model#PSAG8U-05G02C running Windows 7 64bit. The sound has stopped working on it.
I hear no sound when it boots up. Audio doesn’t work with youtube via Chrome or IE, or whether I play CDs or from local MP3s on the laptop. There is no sound via plugged in headphones.

Things that I have done:

1. Scanned and removed malware from computer
  2. Tried in safe mode
  3. I also ran Microsoft Security Essentials on the computer (nothing malicious found)
  4. Ran a defrag
  5. Disk clean up
  6. Ran SFC
  7. Ran Windows updates, rebooted
  8. Reset IE and Chrome
  9. Remove BHO’s, checked manage addons under IE and removed anything unwanted
  10. Minimalised startup applications under msconfig
  11. Uninstalled sound driver and let it reinstall from reboot.
  12. Downloaded and installed sound driver from manufacturer website (toshiba).
  13. Ran Microsoft fixit on sound (nothing found)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

1. Ragu P

Thank you, I do have Ubuntu on a flash drive so I will boot it from there and see. Thanks for the pointer, I'll let you know what I find.

There are three possible causes: hardware problem, software problem, settings (e.g. mute, low volume etc). The first task is to establish where the problem lies.

Run Device Manager and look in the "Sound, video and game controllers" (depending on the version of Windows it may have a slightly different name). Your soundcard should be listed there. If it is not listed, the driver is missing. If it is listed and there is a little symbol superimposed on its icon (e.g. a down-pointing arrow), then the driver has been disabled or is not working properly. If you simply see the listing of the device with an icon next to it, then the sound card is OK, at least as far as Windows is concerned.

If it's the last scenario (souncard appears to be OK), I suggest you boot the computer from a live disk (e.g. Ubuntu) and see if the loudspeakers work. If they do, we're back to software issues, but if they don't, it's a hardware problem and the laptop would need to be repaired by a technician.

You've tried many possible way in software part to fix sound issues.It might be the problem in hardware side itself.I would suggest you to send your laptop to professional repair.

see Windows Audio service status
    1. Click Start, type Services.msc in the Start Search box.
    2. Scroll down the list of services, right-click Windows Audio and select Start.
    3. Select Properties for Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to Automatic.
    make sure that the following services are started and their Startup Type is set to Automatic.
    •Multimedia Class Scheduler
    •Plug and Play
    •Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

check the troubleshooter
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/no-sound-in-windows