Is WPA2 security for WiFi safe and how can I best secure my home WiFi?

Nirdesh Naagar January 9, 2013

Can anyone hack my WiFi net? I’m planning to get a new WiFi connection at my house. I know they secure it with some WPA2 and AES, but is it still safe? Wat precautions can I take to secure my WiFi connection at home?

1. Nirdesh Naagar

ok thank you guys for your time.

WPA2 is the most secure encryption that a router can have. I read once that "if a hacker wants to get into your system they will get in anyway, the only thing we can do is to make it difficult for them". So to make is hard for anyone to get into your wifi, just use the wpa2 with an alphanumeric password with some symbols. for example - p@ssw0rd1234@#$% this type of password is hard to guess and hard to crack by password hacking tools.

3. Alba Spam

Turn off WPS.

4. Adam Campbell

Here are some tips that I use and some more that I found online.

1st. Make sure that the SSID of your network is not the default (i.e. NETGEAR124) SSID.
    2nd. Change Admin password on router (although if the hacker is this far its not going to affect much)
    3rd. WPA2 and AES are great, but make sure that you get a router that doesn't have the wireless protected setup WPS option that can potentially be cracked by tools like reaver (or find one where the WPS can be disabled).
    4th. Place the router in the center of the house where its signal is not going to be that strong for the hacker next door.
    5th. Periodically change your password.

• Jamie Merlau

I've tested Reaver recently. There have been firmware updates that will stop responding to WPS brute force attempts after a certain number of failures. In some research, I read some people were able to still use WPS, even disabled. Considering the exploit is over a year old, I imagine firmware updates have fixed that, as I could not replicate.

5. Nirdesh Naagar

thanks but i need more satisfying answers.

6. Rob Hindle

WPA2-AES with a strong password is as good as it gets at present. Strong password might be 16 characters mixed upper case, lower case, numbers and non-alphanumerics.