Is this a good partitioning scheme for a triple boot of FreeDOS, Debian & Ubuntu?

AllenRayz June 7, 2013

Basically, what I’m trying to accomplish here is to familiarize myself with the process (I’m using VirtualBox for that).

http://twitpic.com/cvpjau

————————————————–

FreeDOS – /sda1 (FAT32) [on a PRIMARY partition]
Debian – /sda2 (ext4) [no /boot, no /home in separate partitions, simply “/” on a PRIMARY partition]
Ubuntu – /sda3 (ext4) [no /boot, no /home in separate partitions, simply “/” on a PRIMARY partition]

+ a NTFS partition for system-independent data

————————————————–

GRUB is set to the MBR and able to process the chain (screenshot provided).

Also, as you could notice, I’m not using any SWAP partitions (I’ve got a fairly fast processor accompanied with a plenty of RAM, and even Ubuntu with the default Unity interface idles at ~350 MB in a virtual machine).

Again, I’m simply visualizing the whole process just to make sure I get everything right before I actually slice my hard-drive and risk running into a problem.

I will really appreciate any of your suggestions. Thanks.

1. null

Swap is not require when you have plenty of ram to play with. in your case 2 gb for ubuntu is ok. again you don't need swap, sometimes swap part do slow your system. yes its ture!

I don't see why you don't have a swap partition. Granted it chews up a small amount of your drive for it, but the benefits definitely outweigh that one tiny drawback. After all, if your machine does hit OOM, you just start losing processes (and possibly your work) until the system has enough memory to continue. The system will also be pretty much unresponsive during this time as well. It also allows you to suspend-to-disc or hibernate the system. Without a swap file, these options are not available to you. And on bare metal, this swap partition can be safely shared between your Linux installations instead of having a separate swap partition for each one. This is more risky using VMs since you can suspend one and start another whcih would overwrite the system state of the suspended system.

• AllenRayz

I guess it makes sense, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Your scheme looks fine. Are you trying to familiarise yourself with the process of multibooting into different OSs, or of using virtual machines?

• AllenRayz

Familiarize myself with the process.