Is there software that can automatically grade tests that have required students to circle the right numbered answer rather than color in a dot?

Joe Videtto May 23, 2012

Is there a way to automatically grade tests that have required students to circle the right numbered answer rather than color in a dot ?

Scantron has been around for years – works well; in our school, the youngest of our students circle the answers on their test papers, they are not really ready for coloring in the scantron dots.

Is there any software that would allow the circled answers on paper tests be somehow automatically scored ?

1. Devinder Rustagi

a) Go to http://www.atmyschool.com
    b) Click on link
    VII
    (under Multiple Choice Question)
    c) Take online Maths test on the topics you choose
    d) Once you submit t the test .. it tells you wrong / rights / un-answered and what were the right answer of those questions.

Are you looking for something like this ?

2. Venudhar Bhatt

I would recommend that you should look at GradeCam Insight on http://www.gradecam.com
    This is the most simple and fastest application to instantly score tests and get access to lot of reports. You can print your own forms, learners can mark them using any pen or pencil and it is reasonably accurate with even ticks, crosses etc instead of filling in the dots. And you dont need to invest and maintain expensive hardware or software too. Whats more? You can laminate answer sheets and reuse them to save paper costs too. So please check it out.

3. Barry

How about giving them a special pen (UV reactive, fluorescent, etc).

Now the problem is easier - just scan for the specific characteristics of the pen and its position on the page compared to a base model of the answers.

Now they can circle, colour-in, tick or whatever and it'll still show up.

4. MW3

Not sure of the scanning option. However, you can give self-graded tests online using the forms option in Google Docs. There is a neat script "flubaroo" that will grade your tests. Check it out.

• Joe Videtto

Looking forward to flubarooing ASAP - thanks for the suggestion.

5. muotechguy

I disagree with the premise - why use paper at all? Open source systems like Moodle make online testing and grading incredibly easy; I created an english course when I was teaching at university incorporating listening sections, multiple choice, lots of stuff. It seems silly to have to introduce an extra step of scanning. Custom styles could make it appropriate to younger leaners too, by making the selection buttons larger.

http://moodle.org

• Joe Videtto

Fist - I'm loving your idea; this is what I'd love to move the school toward if the school had unlimited budget.

And why use paper ? Use paper because not every child in the school has access to a computer, especially when tests need to be administered across all classes at the same time. In fact, in our school, there are 2 computers in each classroom (many not working due to lack of attention) and 1 computer lab with 30 desktops.

The school has about 600 kids. The price of the software seems negligible (love the open source : ) What hardware would you recommend, and what would it cost to implement your suggestion ?

BTW - love your moodle.org suggestion. I wasn't aware of it. I will look into piloting it in our school ASAP - because just exposing administrators and teachers to such software will result in a great forward looking dialog.

Thanks again, MUOTechGuy.

• Muotechguy

Well with 600 kids simultaneously, that's obviously impossible! I have no idea how much that would cost. A lot. Anyway, im sure moodle will be useful for you somewhere .

6. Windowsisbettr

Hmm... you would need to get in touch with the creators of Scantron to see if they have anything like that.
    You could alternatively use software:
    http://www.scantron.com/classroomtesting/software.aspx