Is there any way to return my view of the makeuseof.com website to the old format?

Jeremy G September 3, 2013

• The new format makes it harder to sort the words from the pictures, whereas in the old format, I could scan the center of the page, easily finding those articles relevant to me. I do not have a tablet, instead using a vertically aligned 1920 x 1080 screen to view, specifically, makeuseof.com and other such websites. Having limited time, I used to be able to scan the titles to pick relevancy, and to know whether to open an item, or move on to the next page. The current layout is much slower to scan, and cannot be easily read.
  • The continuous scroll resets every time I return to the home page, even when I have gone into a page which may (I think) have been 6 pages back. I am currently catching up on a months worth of articles, and would prefer not to open each in a tab, but rather to work backwards by date.
  • Should I wish to access the ‘About’, ‘Contact’, ‘Advertise’, or ‘Privacy’ links from the home page, I have a limited time span to click on them before the continuous scroll function adds more articles to the base of the page.
    I use a multi-link extension to highlight multiple links and open them in taps. This works when links are vertically sequenced, as with the old format. Your current layout gathers all links together, such that to highlight the link at the top left (ie. the most recent) opens the next 14 articles as well.

The format of a website is pretty important to me, as I prefer to avoid websites or software (such as Windows 8) which confuse the eye and waste time. Any solution you could suggest would be worth trying, as I rather like makeuseof.com and would prefer to maintain it as one of my home pages.

1. James B

Press CTRL-click to open a link in a new tab - no need to navigate away from the homepage each time.

2. Justin P

You could use the RSS feed to scan articles, if you really dislike the homepage:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/makeuseof

We're listening to feedback, though, so stay tuned for changes.

3. Dany B

I hope they give us the option of using this webpage layout or the old webpage layout, some websites do it and I would rather go back to the old layout I liked it better.