Is there any tool that can check to see if a video download has been completed?

Piseth Mao June 26, 2013

Hi everyone! Does anyone here know a tool that can be used to check the video files if they are downloaded completely?

I like downloading video from YouTube using some available add-ons on Firefox but then there are some videos that are not completely downloaded meaning only half or so of them are downloaded due to some reasons such as disconnection. Of course we can play the parts it downloaded. In this case, I want to ask if there is a tool to check the files so I know which one is completely downloaded or not in order to re-download the one not completed.

So far, GOM player is the only player that tells me if the video is fully downloaded or not by displaying the bar on the seek bar to indicate that the video is not completed. However, I need to play the video one by one to see it. In this regard, I’m checking to see if there is a tool that tells me which file is downloaded completely without a need to play the file as it is very time consuming.

1. Mohammad Hamzani S

in my case, yeap i agree with u about choice to download youtube video in our format choice. idm in general will download the very first link that it capture. that mean when the video is mask by an ads, so the actual video cannot be download due to ads mask that been put. as u said, i also tried and tested many or most downloader out there when im on 24/7 in the past and own a pc. now, nothing i can do to help much since i lost the 2 component to enable me to online that is pc and internet connection. back in the day i can easily guide anyone witch is best and witch is poor. so it up to us what we want to use base on our own interest. other point just for reference only.

2. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

in this case, i dont think the video have the problem like we used to download with torrent when the hashchechk or i forgot what it call dont download in fullest or get error when it rebuild in our pc. this was solely the add on or software u used. if u want to aboid in the future, do try use other downloader like harshit j give u link or any other download accelator like internet download manager or flash get or any downloader that can catch youtube coding and download it. nowdays, i mention that youtube put new algorythm that block idm to auto download it and such. so u must be wise to choose the software to download it and dont solely rely on add on.

• Piseth

Thanks for your recommendation, but through my years of experience in downloading videos from YouTube I hate IDM and a few other downloaders. I know they help make download faster but they don't give me more choices like the addon I used "Flash Video Downloader" and a few others. Flash Video Downloader give me the choice whether to download the file in HD, SD or Full HD. It's also allow me to save files in a desired places. So far I have downloaded hundreds of videos happiliy except that some videos are partially downloaded especially when the internet connection is unstable. This only occurs about 2% of the total downloads and I just want to check which ones are not complete so I can redownload them.

internet download manager interface under status you can check the percentage of each downloaded videos. Check in your software if there is status bar

If you have use DownThemAll Firefox Addon,then it tells that whether a download is completed or not and can also resume it.

well if video download is not completed then it will be difficult for windows to display the thumbnail picture.

MediaInfo
    http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

gspot
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

videoinspector
    http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?vtb

• Piseth Mao

Thanks ha14 for your answer but it doesn't help. Video inspector seemed ok but when I tested it, none of my videos showed up as they are all in .mp4 format which is not supported by this software.

"well if video download is not completed then it will be difficult for windows to display the thumbnail picture."
      Yes, but I don't know why they show all thumbnails and we can play them just fine except that they stop when reaching the unfinished point.

ask a friend to download a small video and send it to you, or to that on another pc then watch it on your pc, check if you can watch it all the way. If yes then something wrong with your download manager so check another download manager.

if videos that you download gives the checksum then you can compare with your downloaded videos.

have you tried to watch the video with another media player?