Is there any tool for iOS or Android, which can help limiting my overall Internet and app usage?

Richard Kirov March 4, 2013

I’m in the process of enforcing my information diet. It’s a very much needed thing for me to reduce the overall volume of consumed content, whether it’s in the form of articles, video or podcasts.

After several failed attempts to start this “diet”, I think I found the best way to restrain myself from continuing the bad habit. I almost destroyed my multitasking and ridiculous-tab-browser-usage behavior, thanks to an add-on and some rational thinking.

On my computer I’m using the app “Self Control” for Mac, where I’ve blacklisted quite a lot of time wasting websites, but I have a tablet (iPad) and an Android Smartphone as well.

Are there any tools, which can limit my usage of the Internet and or Apps for the mobile platforms (besides the good old willpower, which I deplete regularly)?

Thank you!

1. Schvenn Meister

LBE Security Master (LBE SM). Get the English translation of it from XDA-Developers.

Traffic Counter Extended allows excellent home screen widgets and features to make data management easy.

2. Bumferry

I like to use a mixture of apps on my mobile to keep an eye on data usage and to keep it from over use.

First I use My Data Manager which sits quietly in the drop down menu on android (as well as the option for widgets) This keeps an easy to see guide on how much wifi and data i'm using plus what i have left for the month.

I also use Go launchers own power master to shut down and restart my data switch at night/mornings etc. this stops me from be tempted to go on line when i should be in bed etc....

I also like to have ovano running in the background to warn me of any data hungry apps to stop me from reaching my limit to soon.

I think it's good to use a number of apps and not rely on just on as each app has a slightly different value count and I base my calculations based on the biggest number.

Will power will be your biggest problem as nothing short of getting rid of your devices will STOP you from using the internet if you really want to.

good luck.

Onavo Count | Monitor Data -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&hl=en

" ... automatic blocking tools will keep you safe from bloated data bills. .."

This app can alert and warn you if you reach a certain threshold of data.Moreover,if you are using Android ICS,then it has built in setting under Settings --> Data menu that it can disconnect data connection after a certain level has reached.

iPad app also available -

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onavo/id423545287?mt=8&ls=1

4. Dave Bakker

Most apps you install to help, you can also uninstall. Best is to have a room mate, or spouse actually hold the device for you. Have a box you deposit the device in when you are at home. At first you may end up going more and more to the box, but as you start getting used to it, you will find you will start to do other things. Find good books, play games with your friends, go hiking/biking and leave phone at home

In Android, version IceCream sandwich onwards, if you are using 3G, you can define the alert notification and define the internet usage datacap after which the mobile data will switch off automatically. This can be defined for a cycle and carries forward to the next cycle.