Is there an easy fix for an Acer Aspire 4743Z which is booting up very slowly after a fall?

Cristián T December 12, 2013

I have an Acer Aspire 4743Z that I dropped down the stairs and now it doesn’t start up properly. I press the power button and it shows the manufacture screen, after which it stays in a dark screen for about 5 minutes. After those 5 minutes pass another screen shows up that says that Windows is loading files. I’m still not sure whether this computer is able to boot at all without me making repairs to its hardware. Hopefully this problem can be resolved by fixing something software related, but considering that this happened after I dropped it, I don’t think that will be a possible solution, I could be wrong though. Help would be much appreciated.

I would check the disk health as the hard drive would be at highest risk for damages and corruption after any fall. Use Ultimate Boot CD, Hiren's Boot CD, or other comprehensive boot CD that has hard drive and RAM testing tools in order to see how damaged the drive may be and off the RAM is ok. Ultimate Boot CD and Hiren's Boot CD would have tools that try to repair the sectors of the drive.

If you find the drive to be damaged and the health is failing, I would try to backup anything that may be important to you. If you do get the drive in working condition through disk repair tools and Windows boots properly and your programs work properly, I would image the drive and replace the the hard drive with a new one.

• Cristián T

So I ran Ultimate Boot CD. I'm don't think used it correctly, but I know it did determine a problem the computer. I think the hard drive is the problem with the computer. So now I've been working at replacing the hard drive of the computer. The only problem is I've been having trouble booting Windows with the new hard drive. It's been saying that it can't find an operating system. I was wondering why it says that and how to get it to stop saying that and allow me to boot into Windows normally. I asked my friend about it and he says that I have to copy some files from the old hard drive onto a USB flash drive and then transfer those files to the new hard drive. He was too vague about it for me to understand what he was talking about, much less how to do it. So how do you properly replace the hard drive of a computer?

• Dalsan M

Try the suggestions here: http://windows7themes.net/missing-operating-system-windows-7.html. Try to change the BIOS settings to match the hard drive to see if it will fix the problem. If not, try the Recovery Console to repair Windows. If still a no-go, try to fix the master boot record.