Is there a web browser that can display multiple tabs at once?

Joseph Videtto February 2, 2013

Are there browsers that allow an multi-document sizable window for each ‘tab’ opened ? For example, MS Word will let you have several files open, maximize the Word window, and then individually size and position each (child) file window independently. Is there a browser that allows something similar ? At least, with Chrome, whenever I hit “Ctrl-T” I have to switch between full broswer views by hitting the top of each tab; can’t see mutliple at the same time.

Yes, I know I can open multiple instances of a broswer, but I’m looking for a one-click process to open and position multiple browser windows on my monitor…maybe multiple instances is the easier way to go ?

1. Scott Macmillan

Opera,Firefo, and chrome all have extensions for this problem.

Drag and drop content from window to window. Say goodbye to the "Back" button
    Six and eight panel modes for you high rollers with even larger screens

Panelize: Open Multiple Tabs On Screen [Chrome]

Google Chrome Dual View

Split Screen Slices Your Chrome Window into Two Panes

Firefox and Chrome Split Screen

3. Warren Joshua Talatala

You can view multiple website but it is via windows... you still can have multiple windows instead of multiple tabs.. :P

4. Ron Lister

try the chrome extentions split screen or frame two pages although its harder to navigate.

You can't do this in tabs as such, since by definition only one tab is shown at a time, but you
    you can achieve what you want very easily in Opera:
    Open your multiple windows and arrange them to your heart's content. In the menu, choose Tabs and Sessions=>Sessions=>Save this session..., name the session (say "My six windows" and click [OK]
    The next time you open Opera, go to Tabs and Sessions=>Sessions=>My Six windows and your six windows will appear in the same size and position as you saved them in.

By the way, "multiple instances" is not really relevant here. All browsers treat tabs as a different way of presenting a window, and use the same amount of memory for tabs as they would for windows. Chrome is unusual, in that each tab or window runs as a separate thread, making it more resilient (one tab/window crashing does not necessarily crash the whole program), but again, there's no real difference between tabs and windows. In fact, you can drag tabs off the main window to display them as separate windows, and then you can drag them back in. They are simply two presentation options.

6. Christopher Chen

I use Tile Tabs for Friefox.

• Alan Wade

Friefox? Isnt that a bit like Kentuky Fried Chicken but with a bit more flavour?

7. Indronil Mondal

all popular browsers can do that with the help of addons
    but tryout this if you dont wanna use any addons
    just open the tab in new window

now click on the windows taskbar and select show windows side by side
    hope that helps

8. Jay.0

Think of the browser and Avant is here: split screen, tiled tabs (h & v), detachable tabs etc etc.
    Tried and tested. you can watch movies while reading news.

9. Brian Mok

Yes, I think Opera can.

10. suneo nobi

Try maxthon browser.....

11. Jan Fritsch
  12. Sas

Just resize the window and use many browsers!

• Doc

What if I want to use Tab Mix Plus's "Single Window Mode" to keep everything in tabs (including popups)? Tile Tabs (for Firefox) does a great job, letting me split the browser window in just about any way you can imagine...

13. Dimal Chandrasiri

I think there are some extensions for this on chrome but I don't think firefox is having such thing!

14. Switchblade Rebirth
  15. Alexandra Momo

Well, all i know is that Chrome can have a dual view, but if you want to open more tab, then I suggest you to go with foxSplitter for firefox.