Is there a way to highlight html or pdf files so that notes can be generated in a hierarchical, bulletted list?

Joseph Videtto April 1, 2013

Hi – I like to underline when I read paper books; I underline key concepts and subjects, and underneath each create a bulleted list (dashes, actually), that contains itemized key points. Sometimes my ‘dashed’ points have bolded words, so I can review more quickly once I have gone over the full text several times. Sometimes my levels of hierarchy can be nested to 4 levels.

Is there a way to mark up a pdf or html document so that notes can be compiled in the format specified above, without taking excessive time or complexity in the ‘mark-up’ process iteself ?

What tools can help do this best, and if you’ve used similar tools, what pros and cons have you found with each ? Can I replace the manual process of underlining in paper books and rearranging/reorganizing during a manual (pen and paper rewrite) with electronic markup and automated formatting to said hierarchy ?

For PDFs, this is quite easy. In Foxit Reader, use the tools in the "Comments" tab to underline, highlight or otherwise mark up your text. You can also attach notes to pages, where you can have your mini-summaries.
    In principle, HTML is much more amenable to this sort of formatting, but I don't know of any tools that make it easy - sorry.

2. Vishal Surana

yes by coverting them

You can achieve this in PDF X Change viewer.Here's how you can do it -

First for safety,create a backup copy of a PDF file or choose a random PDF file having multiple pages.

Then,click on select tool button present on toolbar.Usually,this button is used for selecting text.

Now,go to Tools --> Comment and Markup Tools --> Highlight and text Tool --> Default style.This default style choose yellow colour of highlighting.

Now,keep on highlighting atleast two paragraphs(lines) in two separate pages of PDF file.

Click on Comments --> Show Comments List.This will show up a comment bar at left side displaying hierarchical view of your markings.

You can do replace manual underlining of books with electronic form.One disadvantage of using this tool is that if you want more features you will need to pay for paid version which seems reasonable as compared to other PDF tools.