Is there a portable app that can automatically scan files copied to a USB?

rizwan_qaiser December 7, 2012

I am looking for antivirus or firewall type of software that will act as a “USB shield”. It will scan every file that is copied into USB stick automatically.

I have seen ClamWin, but it doesn’t scan files automatically. I have also seen other solutions like disable write access to USB to prevent viruses from spreading, but these technique are useless as you can’t copy files from the system.

Visit the link below -

http://www.antivirusforusb.com/digital-pills.html#0

It's simple to use.

2. Dave Rimmer

You just need to scan all the files first before putting them on the USB, if you are worried about a virus getting on your Pc from a USB then install a scanner on your Pc that will scan them upon inserting the USB, you should always have the auto run disabled anyway just in case you borrow something of your friends.

3. Jan Fritsch

To scan a file "on-access" the software has to run some background task or service. This means something (e.g. a service) has to be installed on the system and therefor is not truly portable.

Creatively thinking a possible solution would be an Anti-Virus software residing on the USB drive and the daemon or background task is started via Autorun once the drive is connected to a system however duo to security Autorun is mostly ignored by the operating system.

Also I don't know any Anti-Virus that can be installed in a portable fashion (not adding anything to the local system) yet features a daemon that does on-access scanning.

I believe the easiest solution is in fact an on-demand scanner like ClamAV which you'll run manually (or shorten the process via some batch script.

• Rizwan

yea i was thinking exactly the same .. but the problem with on demand scan is that it takes lots of time as i have 32GB flash drive ... after copying files from some system.. I have to scan it every time before using on my laptop so its bit time consuming... that's why i was looking for some solution that can detect and remove the virus's as they try to make copy inside USB drive..

• Jan Fritsch

I'm probably spoiled from the ease of doing such stuff on a Mac ~ never done it on Windows.

Basically when you drop a file or folder on some executable it tells the system to open this item using the application you dropped it on.

So theoretically all you have to do is create an executable (residing on the flash drive) that copies the file to some destination, calls the on-demand scanner and provides the path of the single file you want to scan.

Of course you would be limit of the file(s) always ending up in the same destination but at least you will only scan the stuff you just copied.

see if Mx One Antivirus can help
    http://www.mxone.net/en/
    Mx One is an antivirus designed to protect the removable storage devices like USB sticks (also known as pendrives), iPod ™, mp3, mp4, memoirs M2, SD, microSD, and many more devices in an efficient and completely free.

• Rizwan

hey thanks for the link will check that..

• Âdil Farôôq

nice software recommended :)
      i personally recommend it

• Douglas Mutay

Thanks for this link. I have just tested it on my own usb sticks. Seems to work fine. Let's see...

Get yourself an anti-virus program and scan whatever you write to the USB, simple as that.

• Rizwan

unfortunately it is not that simple :) as I have installed avast anti virus free edition in every system but still some how virus from usb's are just keep coming

6. ion popa

TrustPort USB Antivirus - http://www.trustport.com/en/products/trustport-usb-antivirus
    You can give it a try for free 30 days...

• Rizwan

yea found that yesterday i have installed it, its a trail version but i didn't understand its on access scan function.. As i think whenever i copy some file from the computer to usb it(trustPort) should bring some popup window to indicate that the file is being scanned before copying to the usb!!!! .

if you are looking for a portable antivirus then you can check portableapps.com which has a great collections of portables apps. there are other websites which do provided portable apps but there are very few portable antiviruses.

Do you mean that you want an antivirus program that runs on your USB stick when you plug it in and scans uploaded files?

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I dunno why you and Sashi below are saying the exact same thing, but no, I think the writer means a program that will automatically scan every files added to your USB, which means it probably lives in the USB (portable). If you know anything like this, I'm interested as well.

• Rizwan

yeap that is what i am looking for "portable and installed inside usb" ... sort of middle man / firewall between my usb file system and computer ..

• Alan Wade

I think Sashi Peiris is a fan of yours Jim, he/she is following you around repeating everything you type, quite flattering eh??