Is there a noticeable difference between Solid State and Hard Disk Drives?

Achyut R September 4, 2013

I know Solid State Drives are faster than HDD, but does it make a noticeable difference? If not, then what are the other advantages of having a SSD?

1. Matt S

An will make your computer "feel" much quicker.

This is because it has no mechanical parts. When you request data on a regular hard drive, a read/write head has to go to where the data is located before it can be read, and that takes a few seconds. So applications often will not load instantly, even if you have a very fast PC.

But if that data is on a solid state drive, which operates more like RAM, there's no mechanical read/write head. The data just reads, almost instantly. Applications load much more quickly as a result.

It's awesome; I highly recommend it.

2. Alan W

This article will give you an insight as to the tech differences:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp

3. Tim B

Can't really add much more besides what's been said besides an emphatic "YES!!!" and to say that it's the single best upgrade you can perform on your PC for the speed gained and money spent. They're not cheap, but they're nowhere near what they used to be.

I could never go back to using a HDD or non-hybrid HDD/SSD combo ever again (probably the only drawback?).

• Dalsan M

I couldn't agree more. Once you get used to high speed performance, it is hard to go back to normal performance. (Think Lamborghini Aventador vs Chevy Suburban: speed vs storage capacity).

4. Paul P

All three machines we use here have their OSes on them. Reboots are almost painless. It even seems to make internet browsing faster.

it helps in faster read/write operations (using SATA 3.0 connection to motherboard), combined with fast processor better performance will be noticed. If you do not have the budget you can try western digital black edition SATA 3.0.

6. Justin P

My SSD still kind of blows my mind a year after getting it. I mean, I click Photoshop and it opens in seconds. I'd say there's a pretty insane difference, and it's easy to get used to.

Not even a 15,000RPM VelociRaptor hard drive can compare to the speed of a solid state drive. Instead of using magnetic heads that read from a spinning disk, it "reads" from electrical pulses on flash memory. If you want fast load times, SSD is the way to go.

8. Kamil K

It made a noticeable difference for my laptop. My SSD is not fully compatible with laptop, but boot times went from 1 minute to less than 30 seconds. Windows updates also are much faster. Try watching some comparison video on YouTube.

The answer is that the speed difference is very noticable!
    Seek times on SSDs are lower, and this means that a large number of small files can be read in a fraction of the time it would take on a hard disc. This is less true with large files since hard discs can "build up speed" when reading large contiguous blocks). The net effect is that loading software (booting up, starting up applications etc) is much faster.
    The other difference is that SSDs have no moving parts, so are quieter and more resilient to knocks etc. They are also lighter, so all in all, a good fit for laptops. On the down side, they are still very expensive, so getting one which will hold everything you need on a laptop is not always easy.

By the way, there is a halfway house too. Seagate make a 2.5 inch solid state hybrid drives (SSHD) called "Momentus XT" which combine an ordinary HDD with a small SSD which is used as a cache. This dramatically improves read speeds for commonly used software, while retaining the capacity of a real hard disc and at a reasonable price. For desktop systems you can also get "Hybrid Drives" which simply add that capability to existing HDDs.