Is there a general problem of screens cracking on Sony Experia Z1?

Tim C December 16, 2013

Is anyone else aware of a problem with the screens cracking for no reason on the Sony Xperia Z1? I had mine five weeks when I noticed a crack but Sony say it’s not a warranty repair as there is no manufacturing fault and charged me £129 to fix it, yet if you look at the forums on Sony’s own website it seems there is a problem that Sony wont own up to.

Personally I'm not an owner of a Xperia Z1 but from what I can make out of reviews and tests is that it's actually a quite sturdy phone.

Here is the thing about alleged manufacturing faults:
    1. One thousand people having "this" issue will report it on the internet, the forum and the support. The hundred thousands who don't are not reported or listed anywhere.
    2. Whenever a repair costs the consumer money they will try to claim it on the product trying to get a free repair.
    3. Screens, whether they are glass or some plastic, don't crack or get scratched on their own. They are wrongly handled, put in the same pocket as your keys, grinded over a dirty table, dropped on a hard surface (that includes your carpet on the floor, if you don't agree jump in the air and land straight on your knees) or just exposed to conditions outside their specification.

http://www.androidauthority.com/xperia-z1-drop-test-280082/
    Is this test biased, rigged or hidden advertising? Some sturdier version specifically designed for review tests? I don't have the slightest idea...

I'm not aware of any phone on the market where the default warranty covers a damaged screen. Apple for example offers Apple Care for iPhones which is $99 or 1/3 to 1/2 of it's manufacturing costs. For others you might want to get a phone insurance.