Is there a free alternative to Cubby’s direct sync feature?

Justin Pot March 4, 2013

Hey! My wife and I have been using Cubby’s direct sync feature to keep our photo collection up-to-date on all our computers. Sadly, Cubby is out of beta and this feature is no longer free. For the uninitiated: this feature was sort of like Dropbox, in that it could sync two computer for the Internet, but did not sync to any sort of cloud server and as such was essentially unlimited.

It took me a while to find Cubby, so I was wondering if there was anything quite like it out there on the broader Internet. I don’t want to pay for a subscription for this, and would prefer the tool be as hands-off as possible once it’s set up. Any ideas?

1. Zeca

I don't rely in any betas or private companies that can change the rules of the game whenever they want.
    Go for BitTorrent Sync and it will do the trick: http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

• Justin Pot

Noticed this just as soon as I got AeroFS set up. Will probably make the switch...

2. EL

Hi All! It looks like AeroFS is now open for anyone who wants to use it. You can sign up on their website, https://www.aerofs.com/

3. EL

Glad to be of help. Enjoy!

• Costis

Can you send me an invitation also? Thanks bouroussis at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance/

4. EL

Justin: Did you get the invite? Did it work?

• justinpot

I did! Thank you. Seems to be working quite well. I thought I'd sent you a note back, so sorry that I didn't! Thanks again for the invite, the software seems great. Am looking forward to testing it more.

5. Roger Odermatt

Hello, is it possible that you can send my a invite for AeroFS, it will be very very nice. Thank you

6. Steve

Hello, is it possible that you can send my a invite for AeroFS? It will be very very nice.
    Thank you very much

7. EL

I just started using AeroFS. I like it, I think. It's still in closed Beta, but I have invitations if you need one.

• justinpot

Oh man...I think this is the one. I've signed up, but obviously an invite would be appreciated. justinpot.com/contact

• EL

To invite you I need your email address.

• justinpot

So send me a message there and I'll send back. :) Sorry, I try to avoid putting my main email address online. I hope you understand.

• mhetis

Hi. Could you send me an invite? mhetis at gmail dot com

• Amar

Can you send Invite for Aerofs on amarendra4u at gmail dot com

Here is a list of alternatives to Cubby although I must hold my hands up and say I have never used any of them. Worth a look though:
    http://alternativeto.net/software/cubby/?platform=windows&license=free

• Justin Pot

I'll go through them, but from what I've seen they all replicate the cloud-sync function, but not the direct sync. Hmm.

Well, not exactly like it, but check out Wuala.

• Justin Pot

They're a little more hands on than I'd like, but I'll look into them. Thanks for taking the time.

yap, but if you do not want cloud passage then the freeware can come handy, sure tweaking and learning will be necessary because it is not like install forget. Other method is to drop the files to external hard drive then to plug the hard drive to the target pc and sync there.