Is there a fix for excess CPU usage caused by svchost.exe?

December 17, 2013

svchost.exe is using 99% of my CPU, what can I do to make it stop?

Microsoft has told that it's trying to patch this issue as soon as it can do.But it has not given any time frame till now.

Have a look at the below articles to know how to fix it -

How to Fix Windows XP Update Problems Causing 100 Percent CPU Usage [see comments]

How to Fix svchost.exe using 100% CPU / Memory Leak

2. A41202813GMAIL

It Happened To Me In The SUMMER Of 2009 - And I Blamed Some M$ Update(s) For It.

I Uninstalled All M$ Updates I Could Live Without, And Have Never Installed Newer M$ Updates Since.

Problem Solved, So Far - 4 Years And Counting.

Cheers.

• Simon

I can't un-recommend this enough!

Many of those updates you skipped are important security updates, and for an aging OS like XP, that becomes a critical risk for an internet connected PC.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just wish to point out that it can pose quite a threat to take such action.

• A41202813GMAIL

As I Said, 4 Years And Counting.

What Will Change After April 8, 2014 ?

And Yes, I Have Used The Internet Every Single Day.

XP, FOREVER !

3. Tony

None of these methods have worked for me. What I notice is that if my XP machine is left on the problem seems to disappear after a while. (a non-solution :-)
    Recently however I tried the trick of lowering the process priority of svchost.exe using the processes screen in system explorer: I lowered the priority from normal to below normal (use right click) and the activity dropped to zero instantly. I then was able to finish the task I was trying to work on.
    After I returned the priority to normal with no apparent ill effects to the system.

4. Matthew

The "auto update" bug in XP results from a stupidly extended update search when an IE Cumulative update is pending - it will go through eventually, but can be expedited if you manually apply the latest IE Cumulative.

It's unclear if MS will actually bother fixing this by the time XP goes out of support!

5. Alin

Turn off automatic updates!

• Luana

Yep..that's what I did. AU are only trouble.

6. Charley R

This can be "interesting" to resolve; as already stated it is possibly malware: Install, Update and run malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org)- quick scan to eliminate the possibility, if issue remains unresolved, suggest install the following Microsoft FIXITs (Google these) 50001 and 50002, these are specifically written for this issue.

Also enure your version of Internet Explorer is the latest, check for any other Windows Updates, some people have had success with disabling Windows Update and running this manually.

And if necessary the next step would to use Nirsoft's Process Explorer app to identify the sub-processes with the SVCHost.exe thread and individually (temporarily) systematically disable processes and services to identify the culprit...

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

1) Download and run Install Process Explorer
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
    2) Scroll through the list of processesto find SVCHOST.EXE process(es).
    3) Double-click SVCHOST.EXE entry to see the properties screen
    4) Click on the Services tab to view the services running in this process. You can determine what services a SVCHOST.EXE process is controlling on your computer. A single SVCHOST.EXE process can manage multiple services

Svchost is the "Service Host Process" and may represent various parts of the underlying system.

First of all you should make sure it is the "real deal" and not some disguised malware. The 'svchost.exe' should be located in either the Windows "system32" directory or the "SysWOW64" directory.

In the Task Manager click on View > Select columns… and check the PID (Process ID). Take note of the PID that is causing the high CPU usage.
    Now open up a command line Window (Start > run and type "cmd"). Enter the command "tasklist /svc" and you will get a list of all running tasks and the services nested within the "svchost.exe".

Once you know the service(s) of the svchost that is running wild you can start troubleshooting the actual cause.

9. Alan W

There is an apparently easy fix in detail here:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Solve-the-Svchost.Exe-100%25-CPU-Utilization-Problem