Is the Windows 8 built-in antivirus good enough?
Question by Thomas Cherian /

Is Windows Defender, the antivirus that comes with Windows, good enough to protect my PC from viruses alone?

• CharlieTan

I would never trust Microsoft to protect your computer alone. Microsoft has too many other things to focus on as a company than virus protection. However going with an anti-virus software program that anti-virus is its main, if not only focus, would be the most beneficial for protection.

Hello, I would say it does a decent job if you know what you are doing. For example, most viruses/malware get installed in your system because when you want to get/see something you click on any link or visit any site whether it is safe or not. So, protection start with the user. If you are inside a router network it could probably do the job.

In my personal opinion, I would use Bit Defender or Kaspersky if you want a paid version. If you want free options, there are several here:

• Andrew Yen

it works fine for me…

• pp potana

Its not the best but it is okay

• Paul Pruitt

I’ve used Live Security Essentials for awhile without too much trouble. However I recently read an article in Maximum PC I think. They gave it a rating of 6 out of 10, with Avast given an 8 and AVG a 7. That was eye opening to me.

They really like Avast reporting that only Norton found more infections. However Avast and Avg were both always nagging to upgrade to a paid version which speaking from personal experience with another free one Avira, is very annoying.

Anyway they like Norton and Bit Defender. Bit Defender was offered for 600 points here with the MakeUseOf Rewards Program. I had enough points so I’m using it now…They still have 26 licenses open if you have enough points.

• BAM

These days I think its probably more common to encounter malware rather than viruses. A decent antimalware program such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware would be a good companion to Win8 Defender.

Most importantly, make sure you keep your browser, flash plugins, java and OS patches up to date to plug the security holes as soon as possible.

• hazem elsaiegh

No , many tests insist admitting that it fails to various malware attacks,you can use free options like AVG , or the outstanding zone alarm free antivirus + firewall from its name it has both antivrus and firewall which control programs accessing internet and stealth you system ports

• dragonmouth

There is a word for people who use “good enough” protection. That word is VICTIM.

You really need to go with something else. Windows Defender in Win8 is based on MSE for previous versions of Windows, utilizing the same engine. Since this is the case, the failure to achieve certification in the last couple of iterations of MSE should give anyone pause when considering their AV solution.

For those who espouse the use of MSE/Windows Defender, just because it isn’t detecting any malware on your system does not mean you are not infected. Granted, the product gets a perfect score with zero false-positives, but in serious testing it has been found to let through the most malware resulting in a greater number of compromised systems and the compromises are more thorough than with competing products.

• Carlo Vincente

I use WE in two laptops, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows XP, and I don´t use any antivirus at all in an old PC with Windows XP. Not a single problem. It all depends on your browsing habits.