Is the Torch browser safe to use?

leslie smith March 6, 2013

I would like to know if the Torch Web bowser safe to use.

Thanks.

1. Emily Anderson

@prashanth singh rathore - Wow dude, that's a lot of stuff to install. I've been using Torch browser for a long time now and it's working great for me. The torrent client is very good so when I want to download LEGAL torrents (cuz torrenting isn't always illegal), I use the embedded client which is perfectly safe. Besides, someone else mentioned here that Neowin scored Torch as reliable and they're pretty accurate. Moreover, Torch let you do more than that. You can also download videos and music, just make sure that you know what you're downloading (copyright's wise). My advice is just to try it out, you'll see that it's freaking awesome. And now since they added this new feature, Torch music or something, Outstanding!!! All I can say is... Keep it up Torch!

Since Torch browser is Chromium based,it must be getting updates at the rate equivalent to what Google Chrome or Chromium gets.If you see this,then you can be assure that it's safe from all type of attacks.You can do this by checking its version and comparing it with other Chromium based browsers.

3. Nick Hardy

The Tor Browser itself is safe, but when switching you identity on it changes the ip for Tor and allows the owner of the ip to see what your doing. You just have to not type usernames, passwords, and other private information

4. null

I'm really quite technologically illiterate. I feel like I cannot emphasize that enough. That said, I'm trying to learn about torrenting. I understand I can use the Torch browser to make the process faster and easier.

Based on what I can find, it seems to be quite reliable and safe to use. Neowin seems to think thats its OK and thats good enough for me.
    The best advice is to give it a run and ask yourself the question, Does it do what you want it to do and do you feel safe with it?

6. prashanth singh rathore

These days, downloading public torrents directly on your home connection is unsafe in many countries. At worst, if caught a few times, you can either be disconnected or dragged to court (or a court-lookalike).
    That's not to say torrents cannot be safe, however! The two main methods of keeping safe are VPNs and Seedboxes. They both do cost money - totally free pirating is getting harder and harder. Torrentfreak has an excellent list of safe VPN providers. They are easy to use, and all give good instructions on how to set them up. They keep you anonymous by creating a secure tunnel between your computer and their servers. This means that your IP is not visible to anyone else in the bittorrent 'swarm' - your VPN providers IP is. So if the copyright holders' hounds go after a torrent you're downloading, the infringement notice goes to the VPN provider, who has no record of who was downloading what, and the whole thing hits a dead end.
    Seedboxes are servers you rent which download torrents remotely. You can then use FTP or similar to transfer the files to your computer. Safe for the same reason as VPNs (your seedbox's IP in the swarm), but much harder for novices to use effectively. Also, if you're going to try for a private tracker, you have to keep your upload stats up - quite difficult on a home connection. Seedboxes generally have 100mbit-10gbit lines, capable of much more than your computer!
    So yeah, get a VPN to be safe. They're pretty cheap and easy to use.
    As for Torch, no. Don't. Just as the old saying goes: 'Jack of all trades is master of none". If it's both a browser and a torrent client it will be bad at both, for no gain of ease of use. Get a good dedicated torrent client, this will also allow your torrents to continue when your browser is not open/crashes, etc. I recommend qBittorrent or Deluge.
    For browsers, use either Firefox or Chrome. If you're interested in the accelerated downloading of Torch, get either Free Download Manager (get the lite version) or JDownloader. FDM is probably easier for novices, but JDownloader is very good at downloading automatically from bitlockers.
    Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any followup questions! :)

7. SaikatBasu

Well, it is based on the Chromium source code and I think it is lighter than either Chrome or Firefox. It has the requisite security features in place (HTTPS/SSL; malware & phisihing protection). But reports suggest that it is slower than either Chrome or Firefox. So, you might want to look into that as well.

The knowledgebase on the developer site also states that in some cases - an optional toolbar may be offered as part of Torch's installation process. This usually happens when Torch is not downloaded from the principal site.

Read this post too - 7 Browser Security Tests to Try Out and Prevent Exploit Attacks | http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-browser-security-tests-prevent-exploit-attacks/