Is the Gmail antivirus good enough for scanning attachments?

Douglas Mutay December 6, 2012

I’m used to seeing Gmail scanning an attachment before allowing you to download it. Is this antivirus trustworthy enough so that there is no need to scan it again with your own antivirus?

And just for knowledge, what kind of antivirus is Google using? Thanks!

1. Ahmed Musani

they are highly sexured. dont worry about downloading attachments.

2. Douglas Mutay

Thank you all for your answers and guidance!

3. Avish Kansakar

even if the gmail anti-virus missed any potential viruses on your attachment your real-time anti-virus installed in your pc should be able to detect most viruses

4. Klaus-Uwe Mitterer

I heard that it might be Sophos, but AFAIK Google never officially disclosed which software they are using. They might also have made one themselves. Double-scanning is always a good idea, but I think that Google would be most up to date as far as virus signatures are concerned. Also, your own antivirus should always be set to automatically scan all new files/scan files at execution.

• Douglas Mutay

Thanks for these tips.

5. josemon maliakal

I think yes

6. Âdil Farôôq

i think its enough i personally never got infected

From my experience, Gmail has a very good scanner (either that or I don't receive malicious emails). However, what I recommend is to install a desktop stand-alone scanner that does real-time protection, and that scans everything that you download. I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials, as it does that job, scanning downloads as it comes in, and its free.

Do a quick google search for Microsoft Security Essentials and click on the Microsoft link. Choose your operating system and download and install

Hope that helped you!

• Douglas Mutay

Yes, it did. Thank you Victor.

8. Justin Pot

Do you need to scan a file after you download it from Gmail? Probably not. Should you still have another antivirus program? If you're using Windows, yes.

• Douglas Mutay

Thanks.

9. Nikhil Chandak

your realtime protection should popup when you open the attachment and alert you in case virus.

when you upload to gmail, your file will be scanned, for instance google refuse the .exe format...when you download he file it will be re-scanned, now there are some methods to fool google like changing the file format....but still your realtime protection should help you.

If you've received an attachment with a virus, our system will attempt to clean the file, so you can still access the information it contains. If the virus can't be removed from the file, you won't be able to download it.
    http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=25760

• Douglas Mutay

I knew Google refuse all .exe attachment but now with the integration of google drive in email attachment, I was able to send google talk .exe file to my friend who couldn't download it. Did they cancel this policy?

12. Lisa Santika Onggrid

I don't know what antivirus they're using, but I think it's good enough. I haven't get any infections through my Gmail account, at least. If you're suspicious, no harm in scanning the attachments again. Better safe than sorry.

• Douglas Mutay

You're right Lisa. Thank you

13. Ali Ehsan

Unlike most antivirus software that comes with online email accounts, the Gmail Antivirus Scanner is exclusive to Gmail and is not an offshoot of a third party. This is both a blessing and a curse. The scanner is intended to work exclusively with Gmail and its unique structure. The benefits are that it works as a first line of defense exclusively within the Gmail infrastructure, rather than as a blanket program added to the system that might not cover all the loopholes.
    Well about the question if its trustworthy enough that there's no need to scan it from your installed Antivirus i guess it depends on you