Is Sitetrail reliable when it comes to website value estimations?

loic cobbina April 12, 2013

A friend of mine suggested i use sitetrail to have an idea of what my website is worth. Has anybody else relied on it to estimate the value of his website?

1. Komlan kuma

@cobbinaloic, you need to be careful when relying on those sites to estimate the value of yours. At the end of the day you are the final judge. You know better how to generate revenues from your site. In general you can sell your site 10 times more that what it makes you every year. That said it is not a bad idea to rely on Sitetrail.com and other similar website to just have an idea of how much you could sell your site.

10 x yearly revenue is a serious overestimate. You should expect more like 2-3 times, optimistically.

2. muotechguy

Having just tested my own site, the evaluation was worthless. The value seems to be calculated on theoretical Adsense, which is a crap form of revenue anyway. My site makes $1500/month in private ad revenue, and this dumb tool suggested my site was worth only $2200 total.

In reality, you'd expect a profitable site to be worth at least 12 - 24 x 1 month revenue. Check out http://flipper.com for real site auctions, and try to find some sites that were sold at a similar revenue/traffic revenue to your own. If you don't actually have any revenue from the site, then $500 or less. If you have actual revenue, then my formula above is fair (12-24x 1 month). PR rank can also affect value; I've sold PR4 sites with no traffic and no revenue for around $1000.

• macwitty

I have one, not updated I think the last post was in October, nearly no trafic and they say 1502,455 USD. Too bad you blew it otherwise I could have thought that I could get rich;)

If you genuinely want to sell, check out similar PRx no traffic sites on Flippa (whoops, URL was wrong, its http://flippa.com), $1500 might not be unreasonable if it's got good PR.