Is running two antivirus programs at the same time a good idea or not?

Sukanya Sadhu November 22, 2012

I am using an HP laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG 2013 antivirus. I recently noticed my computer has been a little slow and behaving strange, it was using more memory and bandwidth than usual.

Then I ran an online scan and it caught two trojans. So it led me to think that is it really useful to run two antivirus programs at the same time. Beside the cost in system performance, does it hamper in one another’s task of detecting viruses?

1. Joel Jacob

Sorry about the mistake it is 'using two antivirus is not better as they interfere with each other.'

2. Joel Jacob

Yousing two antivirus is not better as they interfere with each other.

3. Alex Klimov

Use one on the regular basis and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (free) sporadically.

4. prasad kondaveti

dont use two antiviruses. use only one.

5. dhanunjayarao chunduri

that they interfere with each other causing more harm than good.Donot use 2 antivirus programs at a same time.

6. Cindy Lucien

Using two anti virus programs will not only slow down your computer by using additional resourses, they do conflict with each other. Use only one. For added security try a malware removal product like malwarebytes in addition to the antivirus program. Keep up with the scans and updates on them and you should have no problems.

7. Ayan Panja

its not a good idea to run two antivirus at a time because..
    1. slows down your computer
    2. some times one antivirus senses other antivirus's quarantine as virus and delete it and crash the antivirus.
    3. update time is long

8. Sathya Murthy

Running multiple virus scanners ensure double safety from virus as some virus scanners does not find all the virus definitions.

9. ckdelta

it's very detrimental to the power system on your computer, and sometimes also can create confusion about the allegations true

10. Steven Groves

They conflict with each other majorly. Just go into safemode remove the two and add Microsoft Security Essentials. You can also check with your Internet Provider to see if they offer one at a low rate. Ex. Charter Communications offers one that is by far a great one at a low cost. It is always updating itself in the background (CLOUD). Its a great piece of software

11. kumar raja

U can Mark it as Solved Problem why u r not closing U can use two antivirus Programs at a time

12. Mai Katayama

It's definitely not a good idea to have two antiviruses on your computer, it can cause problems and they can detect each other as viruses. I suggest you delete one of them. Also, I've used both antiviruses you've mentioned and I've found they don't always do their job, I'm using Unthreat Antivirus and I'm happy with it, it's pretty easy to use and doesn't really slow down my computer, I recommend it.

13. Gianna Marie Lanete

It is not right to run two anti-virus cause it may cause to conflict in the program.

14. mangesh kharche

using two different antivirus will make your pc/laptop work slow and also they both will interfere with each other so you must choose only one antivirus which you think is best.

15. mohit kumar

Don't use AVG and install Malwarebytes's anti-malware. MSE will take care in normal mode while Malwarebytes can run in safe-mode too.

• Sukanya Sadhu

Why not AVG? It's AVG 2013 and i bought it for its high rating.

16. kumar raja

I think it is not safe to PC

17. RH hassan

not a good idea

18. Alex Perkins

It could cause false positives, maybe.

19. Sean A

No, they could possibly end up slowing down your computer. As well as causing issues between the two programs when they react to each other.

20. Somaiya Ebrahim

all i know is that 2 antivirus programs would make your computer really really slow...do you want that?

• Sukanya Sadhu

My problem is not about performance, my laptop has enough ram to run two antivirus at the same time. i just wanna know if it helps in security matters too?

21. Nikhil Chandak

I think only one antivirus will be good for u , Microsoft Security Essentials , because two antivirus may interface with each other

22. Nicole ?

they will cancel each other out so it's not the best idea to have two at the same time

you must ask avg to not scan Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Security Essentials to not scan AVG. The problem can be from realtime protection both will want to interfer at the same time,,.everytime that you open a file both will scan it so cpu usage will go higher.

Using AVG together with other security software products
    http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4414
    We do not recommend using AVG together with other security software. If you start installing AVG and a conflicting application is detected, you will be informed about this. The message will contain the name of the application and a suggestion to remove it.
    Examples of potentially conflicting security applications are:
    -Microsoft Security Essentials
    -Norton products
    -McAfee products
    -Avast products
    -Avira products

Will suggest to use only one Antivirus. However, you can install ThreatFire along-with your antivirus as it complements and enhances the effectivity of your antivirus. It is from the well-known security company PCTools and the link is http://download.cnet.com/ThreatFire-AntiVirus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10726873.html?part=dl-6257086&subj=dl&tag=button

25. Mike Gotteri

I would also recommend than you disable the Microsoft one as it is very basic. I would continue to use AVG and if you are STILL concerned about online threats, would suggest you have a look at this... ...

http://www.immunet.com/free/features/index.html

This is the only program I know of that runs ALONGSIDE other antivirus programs and doesn't cause conflicts. It uses online or cloud technology to offer an extra layer of protection. I run this alongside Avast! antivirus on two of my vista laptops and it has not caused me any problems in over 3 years of constant daily use.

26. DalSan

Use only one antivirus (Microsoft Essentials is one I don't recommend very often except to basic users) and an antimalware program like SuperAntiSpyware. Install Malwarebytes Antimalware free and scan the computer once in a while since it does not run in the background and won't interfere with an antivirus and SuperAntiSpyware. Do not install 2 active antivirus programs or 2 active antimalware programs as they interfere with each other and show your computer too much. I would use McAfee Stinger to scan for deep boot viruses and such that may be missed by other scanners.

27. ion popa

You may want to try out Avast Compatible Install mode...

28. Paul Girardin

Not a good idea to run two (or more) antivirus programs together since each program will treat the other like a virus :)

The way these antivirus play with files for detection makes them look highly suspicious to other antivirus.

You would be better to uninstall the one Microsoft (a very basic protector) and make sure AVG is up to date.

Furthermore, using two (or more) of these programs will slow down your system.

To put it in perspective, if these antivirus were electronic equipment, using more than one would be the equivalent of using every electrical outlet in your house at the same time!

A big drain!

• Sukanya Sadhu

I agree with you. Two of my anti viruses are always up to date. Now i am thinking of uninstalling the Microsoft one. Thank you for your comment.

29. Rakesh Mishra

it will effect your laptop performance as two antivirus will be running at same time in the background

30. khaki 211

they will counter act each other plus will use more resources from your computer. Mostly some anti virus are sharp to find patches or key gens as antivirus where some may be let them go...

31. softwaredemons

Its better to use only one Antivirus program out of these two and Microsoft Security essential should be the one

32. Lisa Santika Onggrid

It's better to use only one as your main scanner. The other can be reserved as on-demand scanner. Running both at the same time will cause more trouble than it's worth.

33. Aswin Kumar K P

Yes.What you thinking is absolutely right.Donot use 2 antivirus programs at a same time.You can turn off MS security essentials since it is not upto the mark.AVG is sure a better choice.

it isn't advisable to run two anti-virus program at the same time. running two anti-virus at the same time would not help you any better, they would just be creating conflict

35. Kamil Ko

I understood that they interfere with each other causing more harm than good.