Is my laptop running too hot at 75-80ºc?

kkrao22 April 4, 2013

I have an ASUS EeePC R105 with an Intel Atom N450. Its cooling fan started making noise about a year back, during the guarantee period. It was replaced, along with motherboard and was fine. Now it has started making the noise again for about two months. I am running a hardware monitor. The temperature is showing 75 to 80 ºC. Should the temperature be this high?

Please let me know. Thank you.

1. Paul Pruitt
  2. alex mikell

Yea that is definitely hot. Clean out the dust. Intel Atoms are supposed to be able to run with little or no cooling. I had a Compaq CQ50 model notebook with embedded nvidia geforce graphics. It ran around 90-100 oC. Yea pretty hot but somehow never had performance issues. The AMD Turion X2 mobile processor shutdown temp was 95oc but only the gpu ever reached 100oc.

3. yudics

Intel atom does heat up quickly because of the small casing, you need to be frequently oiling the cpu fan and try to clean dust inside the casing..

4. salim benhouhou

it's a little bit hot try decreasing it and cleaning from dust . MUO has some articles about that try searching .

Its running too hot!
    Since the problem started while the machine was under guarantee and fixed, now the same problem has recurred, I would contact Asus and ask them what they are going to do about it.
    You may get lucky and it dosnt harm to ask.

• Chris Marcoe

I agree with this. It should still be covered, even if the guarantee is over.

• Chris Marcoe

Where are you keeping the laptop when it is in use? Is it on your lap? because that cuts the airflow and will heat your CPU up FAST! Get anything flat and hard to set it on. Preferably, a laptop cooling stand. Its got a fan or 2 to help with circulation. I killed a computer this way a few years ago. and after i got the laptop stand, no problems at all.

• Chris Marcoe

Where are you keeping the laptop when it is in use? Is it on your lap? because that cuts the airflow and will heat your CPU up FAST! Get anything flat and hard to set it on. Preferably, a laptop cooling stand. Its got a fan or 2 to help with circulation.

I killed a computer this way a few years ago. and after i got the laptop stand, no problems at all.

• kolluriraok

Mr.Alan Wade,
      Thank you,
      I am keeping the lap top on the table and working. you write me that you will contact ASUS "I would contact Asus and ask them what they are going to do about it. You may get lucky and it dosnt harm to ask."
      Is there any reply for that? you may reply me to my mail address. kkrao22@yahoo.com
      Thank you for the response I had on this issue.
      K.kameswara Rao

keep it lower than 55-60 c or else the heat will destroy the laptop's components. it might also destroy your battery and if your are not careful may cause fires.

5 Things You Can Do To Silence A Noisy Laptop Fan
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-silence-noisy-laptop-fan/

5 Ways To Utterly Destroy Your Laptop, Slowly But Surely
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-utterly-destroy-laptop-slowly-surely/

The temperature is high and you must first try cleaning it(if you can) from dust particles.This will decrease the noise and amount of heat from your laptop.

Temp should be less than 60 degrees C