Is my hard drive failing?
Question by Oskar Mothander /

I read the article “5 signs your hard drive is failing” but I’m still not quite sure. I have had a nasty virus on the computer. It is called “Trojan horse Generic 19.CMYZ” or “iNiceWare” which seemed to do some serious damage on the filesystem. It was a while back, but as I remember it my problems started after this. I have been able to remove it with AVG though.

I have run chkdsk /F /R multiple times and I am currently running it for a third time in a row. I’m hoping that after a while it won’t find any more problems but not yet.. I think it found bad sectors in the past, but now it does not find any bad sectors (0 KB in bad sectors). My last run (third) did delete index entries and recovered several files however.

There are no weird sounds coming from it and it hasn’t slowed down, but Windows has been working very poorly where features have been broken, like the Windows Search didn’t work at all and control panel features have been non working. It has also been telling me that executables are corrupt.

So finally, should I A) Reinstall Windows if the problems persist or B) Replace the hard drive. I know it’s not easy to give a “correct” answer to this but what is your guts telling you?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Alison Gent

First reformat your drive and ifd that doesn’t fix it…yah get a new one.

• Sean A

Backup everything then get a new drive

• Richard Benkov

One can never be 100% sure that A) the virus is gone and B) other viruses were not brought to the party… so at minumum you should reinstall….This is also a good time to upgrade the HD …faster RPM, bigger size can also assist in PC performence..

• Chew Jian Yue

Backup before any problems or bad sectors start to appear.

1. Make a backup of your drive if you haven’t yet. I usually use but it might not be the best solution if you have bad sectors.
    2.You might be able to repair the bad sectors on the harddrive with “Spinrite” which you can purchase on from Steve Gibson. He has been around for more than a decade which you can probably see based on the looks of his website but his Software spinrite works pretty well.

If you search a bit on a torrent site like the piratebay you might find the software somewhere for free, so you can test whether it works in your case and then only buy a license if it actually fixes the problem – but be fair and buy the software if it actually does. Burn the less than 1mb big program on a bottable CD, and boot from it. If the hard drive is in really bad condition it might take up to several days to repair it – don’t be freaked out by that – just let it run.

$89 might seem much for fixing this problem, but for me it has come in handy to have a copy of the program laying around – over the years I was able to fix several hard drives of friends this way.

I hope it helps.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

If you’ve formatted your drive to find similar state, then your hard drive might be failing. But from what you described, I think your computer is just malware-ridden or suffering something as the result of the last virus attack. Backup, DBAN, then reinstall Windows.

• Jim Chambers

Why give yourself all this stress and anxiety? Backup your files and re-install OS and apps.You might even consider erasing (zeroing) the whole drive using app from drive manufacturer.

• Alex Perkins

Backup externally then format the drive and reinstall the OS.

• Aniket Singh

first save ur importanat file on other flash drive and make backup of other file……and format ur computer…..

• Paul Pruitt

Buy an 120 GB SSD drive. Reinstall your OS on it. Use your old drive as a second drive. The difference will be night an day. Even a 60GB SSD drive is a workable solution as long as you don’t install too many apps or store too many files on this your new primary drive…