Is my blank microSD card useless?

Robert M December 7, 2013

The 32GB microSD card I used in my Xperia Z started showing errors on my phone (i.e. SD card unexpectedly removed/no SD card inserted) although I hadn’t touched it or added anything new or tried to remove it.

Now the SD card isn’t recognized by either my phone or my PC. I contacted Sony after this occurred, just after a system update, but they said that wouldn’t have caused the problem and it must be a faulty card.

I’ve bought a new card, but should I dispose of the faulty one or can it be repaired?

1. Silhoutte J

It is of no use either for your phone or for your laptop/computer. It had happened me as well with my 2 GB micro sd card a year back. My card gets corrupted and i have had some memorable photos in that. Anyways dont waste your efforts.

2. HG

There is an SD card formatter that works quite well.
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

• Robert M

Sadly the sd card isn't recognised on my pc or phone so the formatter also couldn't recognise it but thanks.

I agree with Vipul and Ramandeep. Try to reformat, but if that doesn't work, replace it (and check the warranty status before chucking it out!).

4. Alan W

Based on what you have written you could try the above suggestions but I think realistically you are going to have to bin it.

5. Ramandeep S

As said by above user, try to format it. You can also use someone else' phone or computer if yours not working.

6. Vipul J

Try to access the format sd card option in your phone. But if that is unavailable too you can try to get it replaced. MicroSD cards usually have a 5 year warranty, at least Sandisk does.

• Robert M

Contacted seller on Amazon just awaiting reply,thanks.

7. dragonmouth

"Now the SD card isn’t recognized by either my phone or my PC. "
    When you insert the card into your PC, does the pc not see it at all or it just can't read the data on the card?

If the PC just can't read the card, try to format it and then see if it works in your phone or on your PC.

If the PC does not see it, take an eraser and run it over the contacts on the card. Then wipe the contacts with a lint-free cloth. If you have rubbing alcohol, put some on a lint-free rag and wipe the contacts with it. Sometimes the contacts get dirty. This should clean them. If the card is still not recognized by your phone or your PC then it is most probably dead.

• Robert M

Tried but no success but thanks for the help.

insert the microsd card with the reader to the computer
    1) go to start type cmd, right click on cmd and choose run as administrator
    2) on the black screen type: Diskpart and hit enter
    3)type: list disk and hit enter
    do you see your 32GB micro sd card? if no then most likely the sd card is corrupted, you can try on other pc or on MAC, linux...

• Robert M

Thanks tried that & wasn't showing so guess it's corrupt.