Is my Apple Care warranty still valid?

Adrian Bagnato January 16, 2013

I purchased a second-hand Macbook Unibody Late 2009 off eBay and to my surprise it’s warranty is still valid till the 24th Jan. I made a Genius appt for tomorrow and I just want to see if my warranty is still valid. This was purchased online, someone else purchased the Apple Care Extended warranty and I do not have any record of it.

I have replaced (myself) the hard drive and RAM and the bottom cover (as part of an Apple program). There are a few stripped/rounded screws that’s in the way of a (possibly) faulty optical drive.

So am I still covered? I’m pretty sure not, but I’ve read that replacing the HDD & RAM is fine as long as what you replaced doesn’t cause the fault.

Also the upper case is scratched and has a crack in it (previous owner) and a few blurred pixels on the screen. Can any of these be replaced? Even for a fee?

Thanks for reading all that, Adrian

1. Paul Pruitt

I bet they won't replace the screen because the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage...

2. Paul Pruitt

A new screen is extremely expensive. I had Apple themselves replace one on a MacBook Air and the charge was $440!

3. Jan Fritsch

Although the question is marked as resolved:

Apple Care is registered to the Macs Serial Number – so yes, some did indeed register extended warranty for the device.

As for repairs after DIY stuff:
    Third-party service providers should be fine, Apple Stores may give you a hard time about it.
    For example if you exchanged the RAM you could have scratched the back, damaged the motherboard, broke the hard drive or display cable, stabbed the screen with the screwdriver and what not. That doesn't leave a lot of room for non-self-inflicted issues.

You can build an entire MacBook using spare/repair parts. So yes, you can have all of it repaired for money. But I would guess it will cost several hundred dollars.

I would suggest to simply try getting everything repaired within warranty.