Is it possible to re-open resolved questions on MakeUseOf Answers?

Joe Videtto May 19, 2012

Do the MakeUseOf forums allow a ‘resolved’ question to be ‘reopened’ ? If so, how?

(and why does Joe V think this is a good idea ?)

I often post open-ended questions, that invite many comments and suggestions I could have never anticipated. Some are more pertinent and useful than others to me, but ALL the comments help me learn in an ‘ad-hoc’ way not otherwise possible, of issues I never would have anticipated with respect to that question.

If I go back and am re-reading the responses to my ‘resolved’ answer, to digest and implement some suggestions, I may think of a question related to a previous response. If the question has been marked resolved, I’m afraid people don’t have the incentive to answer ‘resolved’ questions (maybe I’m wrong ?). I’m not even sure if I could post to resolved questions (haven’t tried yet).

For learning purposes, I would think the ‘related questions’ or ‘issues’ I may run into after trying to implement a suggestion answer to a ‘resolved’ question are often (though not always) best be re-posted in context of the original question and answer.

I don’t know if I’m the only one out there – but I plan and collect information for months – especially technically related projects, before I actually begin to act. There’s a good chance that I won’t be following many of the answer suggestions until long after they’re marked ‘resolved’.

Under this new system, people who have posted answers in a thread are notified via email when new comments are added to that thread (or at least I have been), so it is likely that when they see that email, they will return to address any additional questions. I am doing so constantly.

• Joe Videtto

...that's good to know..thx

2. Laga Mahesa

Joe, you'd be much better off collecting the pages yourself elsewhere.

1) Use an archiving service, like Pocket (ex ReadItLater, my preference), Instapaper, Readability, etc.

2) 'Print' the pages to a PDF. I don't know about other browsers, but there is an extension for Opera called Aardvark which allows you to remove unwanted page elements and generally tidy up the page before printing. For example, I can hover my mouse over the banners here at the bottom, hit 'R' and they disappear.

3) Bookmark them - but you run the risk of losing them to 404s.

Joe,

It is not possible for a user to mark questions as unresolved once they were marked as resolved. The Editorial team can of course do this, however, we will only do this in cases where the original question was in fact not answered.

Comments remain open on resolved questions for a period of time. If you have an additional question on the same topic, feel free to post it in the same comment thread. If you do not receive an answer after a few days, we recommend that you post a new question and refer to the previously published question.