Is it possible to obfuscate my data usage on a Verizon smartphone?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda April 15, 2013

I am wondering if there is some way to prevent Verizon from knowing exactly how much data you are using on your smartphone, and as a result be able to use as much data as you want without Verizon knowing?

1. Anay Chaubal

mate, when they know how much to bill you, i bet that they know how to find out your real usage.

2. Jan Fritsch

I can't think of any way to make this possible.

When using mobile data your provider is your access to the internet. Everything you do is send as packets. Even if your provider can't read the data within - be it encrypted, VPN, whatever - they will receive the packet and see it's size. This size is added up and results in your overall traffic.

The only way around this would be e.g. using a 'foreign' network ~ a network from another provider ~ or by "obfuscating" the source so it isn't counted on your account. However, this both require hacking skills beyond my knowledge of mobile infrastructure and would obviously be illegal.

3. Chris Marcoe

I would think that using Wifi would not be tracked by your cell user. However, your internet carrier would still have it. As for masking how much you use of your data plan, if you could do that, I am sure your carrier would look down on it. considering, you pay for X amount of data, and getting unlimited (unless that is what you paid for) would be stealing a service.

i doubt that exist (at least officially) otherwise you can have unlimited data for your phone, imagine you will be able to use computer internet via phone?