Is it possible to make my ADSL connection run faster?

Haley Millar March 6, 2013

My Internet runs okay but it could be faster. How do I configure my connection on my mac and router (a Belkin n150) to make it run faster? Is there anything I can do?

1. EL

If you have dropbox or a similar syncing/backup program running, you might want to consider pausing/closing it for a period of time when you want the connection to be faster.

Here is another view on how to optimize your DSL connection:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4743617_optimize-dsl.html

3. yuitre_

You could improve the connection quality by making sure your neighbour's wifi and yours don't overlap. Use inSSIDer to find out which channel you should switch to (eg 1,6,11)
    http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

How to Speed Up a DSL Connection for a Mac
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5815127_speed-up-dsl-connection-mac.html#ixzz2MqbSKfU4

you will be always limited by your ISP.

• Jan Fritsch

No objection to your hint but this tweak is rather aged. This was initially suggested back in 2005?E.g the nano editor is built in even in OS X Tiger (10.4) and usually DNS caching is performed by the router already. Also current browsers perform DNS caching making running a local BIND/DNS server obsolete.

you cannot exceed your Internet speed which depends on your ISP but you can make your internet better by changing channels, using better password protection, etc.

6. Jan Fritsch

ADSL speeds are mostly limited by the physical connection (line attenuation, noise) and the load on the multiplexer itself.
    So basically, there isn't much one can do about it other than moving closer to the DSLAM and assuming the advertised speeds are not matched ask your provider to use different ports on the multiplexer.In very few cases bad cabling within your premise, a bad filter (if one is used at all) or a damaged modem could limit the achieved speed. For example if the cable from the telephone plug to the modem ran next to the microwave it could have implication. But this should also tell you how limited the options are you can perform yourself.In most cases the only option to achieve higher speeds are using a multi-line setup e.g. switching to a 4,6,8-wire connection (e.g. 2x 4Mbit which would then be combined at the modem). Such setup is usually limited to business plans wherein private contracts are usually "Best Effort" which means you get the highest speed possible via the standard setup.

7. Garris Rago

Do what bruce said by checking your speeds at speedtest.net and make sure it's what your ISP is saying. If not, ring up your ISP as I had this problem recently (I'm with Sky) they will most likely offer you a new set of microfilters (or if you have some NEW ones then try them) if that doesn't work you might get upgraded to some kind of other network (still with the same ISP - still ADSL, I don't know the technical stuff but he said something about it on the phone) this took a few days for me then it was noticeably faster

Log into your router and check the connection speed (most have it listed on the first page with other connection information) to make sure it is the rate you are paying your ISP for. If these do not match, you will need to talk to your ISP. Next, go to Speedtest.net to see what kind of speeds you are achieving. To get a more accurate measure, you need to pick a test server near your location. If it is routing all over the world, it will show slower speeds. If the Speedtest results and your router's information are close (they won't be exact), you are already getting the best speed you can expect on your connection.

If there is a large discrepancy between these data points, let me know and I will go into the somewhat lengthly process of isolating where the slowdown is occurring.