Is it possible to login to a WordPress admin panel with Disqus?

Anonymous October 12, 2013

Hello,

Is it possible to login with Disqus from the wp-admin login page of a WordPress site? The main idea is so a user won’t have to reauthenticate again when leaving comments. I’ve heard of the Disqus SSO but the integration on the wp-admin page sounds difficult.

How can this be done?

1. James B

It's not complicated if you have the SSO option on your account (thats a premium, you certainly cant do it on the free accounts) - last I remember, it was a case of simply installing the plugin and then activating it. Anytime someone creates an account using the Disqus interface, it will automatically create the relevant WP account in your local DB (and vice versa). I can't remember if they add a widget to the wp-admin login page, but I believe they do.

2. Kev Q

In short, no, it's not possible. Using Disqus, your users can authenticate using other accounts like Google or Facebook, so they don't necessarily need to authenticate into WordPress in order to comments.

If you want your users to not have to authenticate at all, then you can turn on Guest commenting by going to Diqus Settings > Community Rules and checking the "guest commenting" tick box. This will mean that your readers can leave comments without having to log in to any social profile, or WordPress.

• James B

It is possible, its called SSO and it's a premium option - we used to have it.