Is it OK to configure my router using another person’s PC?

Geethan Ambanpola May 13, 2013

I have been trying to fix a network adapter/controller for some time in which I have inquired in another question.

It seems I am not going anywhere with fixing this adapter. But like I have mentioned in my original question, the main reason I am trying to fix this adapter is to configure my ZTE ZXV10 W300 router, which needs a wired connection in order to do so, and which I can’t do so because my LAN port has fired up.

So the baseline question now is- “Is it OK to configure my router using another person’s PC, which does not have any LAN port issues like in mine?”. Will it affect the authority level- or in other words, will I not have total control over the router and its system?

The YouTube link below walks through the way to configure the router, which I have no problem with.

Configuring the router, as the link will show, will involve changing the router settings using a web browser. If i configure the router and its wireless settings using another’s PC, will I be able to alter the settings in the future using my personal laptop and be able to access this browser settings?

Thanks a lot people… I hope I will get a final solution at last. :D

1. Geethan Ambanpola

Thanks alot people..... You are the best :D

2. yudics

Hi Gethan, don't worry, your router will work fine, although you setting the router with another pc, to change the setting just go to the web user interface..

Most of the routers has web interface for configuring. The whole purpose of that is that from a browser of computer, which has interface with the router, you can just type the router IP on the browser to open and configure the router. Therefore, kindly go ahead and configure the router, but do not save the password credentials. So after the work is finished, clean the browser history and cache and you should be OK and surviving. :D

Bruce's answer covers all bases. Go ahead and use another PC, but ensure you don't save any router passwords on it!

Using another PC to do this should not pose any problems, just make sure that the PC you use for the operation does not save your credentials in its browser password cache.

If the router requires a wired connection to access the configuration pages, that requirement should not change after initial configuration unless there is an option in the router's configuration to enable/disable that functionality. The router I use by default allows any computer connected to either the wired or wireless network to open up the configuration page unless it is connected via guest access but you still need the administrative password to do anything other than see the overview page.

How to Reset a Router Back to the Factory Default Settings
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2110924_reset-back-factory-default-settings.html
    you can reset the router and apply the new pc settings