Is it a good time to buy a Blackberrry smartphone?

Katya S November 9, 2013

I have been wanting to upgrade my Blackberry for awhile but have held back because of the company’s restructuring and potential sale. I know there are other cellular options out there but I have always preferred Blackberry and want one.

Is it OK to buy one in the middle of their transition period? I’m worried that I’ll buy one but it will be worthless if their sale doesn’t go through, etc. But others are still buying them. How much should I consider their current company issues when buying a new Blackberry? It’s really the only phone I want.

Thank you for any advice, tips, etc. I’m just not familiar with the process they’re currently going through — i.e. can the company dissolve, go out of business, etc? And then am I stuck??

1. Olivia H

I really don't get why it's good. Please explain...

• Crazy Mazy

My advice is get the phone you feel works for you, not the phones as suggested by others lacking security or functionality. With the new release of BB 10.2 OS you will be able to download practically any android app. So don't worry about if app developers stop developing for blackberry. As far as the company going belly up don't worry about that, if it does ( but i don't think it will) the phone and apps will continue to work, on your carrier network, Just there might not be support.

Katya,

If you want to be on the safer side and don't like other platforms or you are apprehensive to get into other platforms due to security and features that you'll miss in other OSes,then go with Blackberry(Z30). It's a good phone with good productive features.
    They are trying to have Android apps support but won't get into Android in near term.The company heads have said that it would be too early for Blackberry to say that they are migrating to other OSes and still have confidence in what potential they still have concealed within them.

One must buy a thing which is comfortable and suits to his/her needs.So,if you like Blackberry then go with it.

3. Matthew H

Personally, I'm feeling quite bullish about Blackberry. They've got new leadership, new devices, a new OS which was been well received and they've gotten a healthy wedge of investment from 'The Warren Buffett of Canada'. Add that to the hefty pile of cash they have and their non-existent debt, and you've got a company that's going to be around for a bit .

The devices are pretty great themselves, and they can run Android apps. In the latest update, they can run anything that runs on 4.2 Jelly Bean. So, if Blackberry does go bust, you can still run the latest and greatest apps!

4. Phoebe

Yes, it is. However, for me, I would not choose BlackBerry.

5. Claude Leroux

BlackBerry isn't going anywhere. They are simply going through a transition. The Z30 is an incredible piece of hardware and BlackBerry 10 OS puts it over the top. The idea that BlackBerry is dead is simply rubbish. That's main stream U.S. Media and their vendetta against BlackBerry. Buying a new BlackBerry now is the best time to show your support and to take a leap forward in technology. Want a deal on one let me know :)

6. Greg (@lombaki)

I've seen so many move to a Z10, Q10 or Z30 and be so happy. BlackBerry will be around for at worst a few years yet. No worries on support. While I really enjoy my BlackBerry, the decision is about what works best for you. If it turns out that BlackBerry is what works, buy it. Don't let media talk you out of it.

• Katya S

Thank you Greg. I had someone else give me similar advice -- basically, buy the phone you want and know you will use & be happy with. Tried forcing myself to adapt to touchscreen with the iPhone or Samsung but just couldn't. I'm a Blackberry devotee for different reasons but largely b/c I love the keyboard and am only comfortable with that vs. touchscreen since I've always had a Blackberry. It's all I've ever known and am used to since I've always had one. I have needed to upgrade for 8 months since my current Blackberry "broke" earlier this year. "Broke" b/c I'm still able to use it in a limited fashion, but I should have replaced it long ago but held back b/c of the transition. It's lasted me for over 5 years! So when they finally came out with the Q after the Z, I was thrilled. I have read great reviews and am glad to hear that you have gotten similar feedback from others too. Thanks so much!

7. mikelcal

Company issues aside, you should get a phone that does what you need it to do. I'm sure BlackBerry is not for sale anymore, and their devices will continue to get supported.

8. Tim B

No, it's a terrible time to buy a Blackberry smartphone. From a consumer perspective: why would you buy into a product that you (presumbably) hope will last you a good few years but will potentially lose out on updates and content when it all goes wrong?

When companies go under (BlackBerry is taking on water pretty bad right now) they don't just shut up shop, but everyone around them stops playing ball. That goes for app developers, who make up a huge part of the reason you want a smartphone in the first place – software. OS updates are also nice, something Apple excels at and Android manufacturers are definitely getting now.

I'd recommend an iPhone or a big-name Android smartphone (something from Samsung, they're not too bad at providing support) over what may be a doomed company's product any day of the week. You'd probably even get more out of a Nokia/Windows Phone model than you would a BlackBerry, which is saying something.

9. Igor R

If i was you,id wait for a little longer.Because the Blackberry company is seeking its new boss.Who knows what it will become with a new chief in staff in a year or two.

10. Kay F

Whatever happens with Blackberry, I guess their O/S will stay put for a while and will be supported. So, for the next two years at least, those new phones are still a good option. After that - no one can say.

It's not the greatest time for just the reasons you outlined. The company's future is unclear. It will probably survive, but whether it will continue to use its own OS or shift to Android or Windows Phone is an open question, and future development of hardware may take a very different route too. Of course, if you really like Blackberry, perhaps you should simply take the plunge, since it will take some time before we find the answers to those questions, and meanwhile you're without a new phone...