Is Google Analytics sufficient to monitor traffic stats or should I use other tools as well?

Arjun Singh December 26, 2012

Is Google Analytics enough to keep a tab on the traffic of my website or do I need to follow something else as well?

Arjun,

I am not into coding so wouldn't be much help. However, probably I think you can create a hyperlink reference to the external review and e-store relevant pages I guess. Probably a click of a button below the products one says REVIEW and other say BUY and when you click them, takes to the third party site. :)

2. Josiah Brunne

I Would use 2 or more.

• Arjun Singh

Please elaborate...

Arjun,

As far as I remember, you are just launching your website and as the best for that. Wishing it a great success. Currently, during launch phase Google Analytics is a great tool and should suffice your needs and purpose. Once you start getting huge volume, you can look into more options. Do not invest heavily initially. That would be my advice. :)

• Arjun Singh

Hey Rajaa,
      Thank you so much for replying... highly valued. I shall definitely keep that in mind. Also, just for the learning purpose could you advise what would be few key things to be tracked from the traffic point of view and which other tools could I be using...

It would be awesome if you could share your feedback/suggestions on the website as well: http://www.brandcollage.com

Arjun,

Very important initially is to attract audience to your website. So I would highly recommend you to use the FaceBook Advertising tool for it, though it is a paid service.

Also try to earn a bit also from your website by setting up a Google Adsense account. :)

Visited the website, liked the concept and the layout. Wishing you all the bset, mate. Cheers!!! :)

Another great thing going forward is to link the products to independent review articles and a e-store link. Just a suggestion. :)

• Arjun Singh

Saw your comments... thanks for visiting Rajaa.
          Agree with every bit of your advice on Advertising & Google Adsense account. Shall take that up soon.

Also, if not much of a hassle could you please suggest in bit of a details as to how do we go about for ... "link the products to independent review articles and a e-store link"

4. Sashritha Peiris

Google analytics is enough

• Arjun Singh

Hi Sashritha, thanks for your reply. Yeah I think google analytics should be good enough for now.

Would be great if you could also share your feedback/suggestions on the concept: http://www.brandcollage.com

5. Mac Witty

For what purpose do you want to know the traffic?
    Just to know, to follow your site...? Then Google Analytic is fine. There are special tools for special needs so do add information about your purpose

• Arjun Singh

Hi Mac,
      For now I only need to see the number of visits and unique visitors in a day as it has just started. Once it reaches optimal levels then may be I could consider to generate funds to aid it's further development.

Would it be possible for you to share a bit more on the kind of possible tools which are available for various things as you mentioned above. Would like to learn more on them.

It would also be great if you could share your feedback/suggestions on the concept: http://www.brandcollage.com

6. Eric Wilborn

I also like to use Alexa (http://www.alexa.com/) as you can query the traffic ranking of other sites. Great comparison tool.

• Arjun Singh

Hi Eric, Alexa is quite nice. Got to see the site rank for my new site, it's quite low but happy to see that it has started appearing at all the right places.
      Thanks for sharing this.

Your experience/feedback/suggestions on the website concept will be helpful: http://www.brandcollage.com

7. Rob Hindle

Unless you have very high traffic volumes even Google Analytics only gives an indication of activity levels. It's a very versatile tool but there's quite a learning curve to get the most from it. (Sign up for and link to Google Webmaster tools too).

I doubt if any other tool will add much. There are things that will let you view live stats, see what your website visitors are doing in real-time and even start a chat session with a website visitior but as far as I know none are free. Only worth considering on a high traffic site.

• Arjun Singh

Thanks Rob. That's helpful. I have already signed for Google Analytics and webmaster tools as well. In fact there hasn't been any errors on webmaster tools for last 90 days.

I understand that I should not go for any paid analytics site for now. However, could you suggest top 3 names, I could consider in future.

Rob, It would be great if you could visit: http://www.brandcollage.com , use the functionality and share your feedback/suggestion on the concept.

• Rob Hindle

One interesting option is woopra.com but it gets expensive. Finding out how your site is used is wider than just analytics. Look at "eye tracking" for example. Also watching real first time users interact with the site, and asking them questions afterwards can be interesting.

Don't use friends or family or anyone who might want to please you, you need honest feedback and the criticisms are worth more than compliments.

As regards your site one criticism is similar to the biggest problem with "makeuseof". Controlling the utterly useless comments. Any worthwhile comments risk getting lost among the volume of useless ones. makeuseof is an example of "worst-case" because they positively encourage low value comments by giving rewards even for people who repeat previous commenter's answers. The makeuseof "top commenters" list usually contains a few who have contributed absolutely nothing of any value but are just collecting points in order to get free software.