Is an 8GB RAM 1600MHz good to load games fast and how to overclock processor without losing lifespan?

Hossam E July 21, 2013

I would like to know if there is a big difference between the 1600MHz RAM and the 2400MHz. Am gonna buy, so I want to know first to not take any stupid step. :P

And how to overclock the processor and/or VGA without losing their lifespan or getting them hot?

My PC RIG here: http://goo.gl/GnLYz
And I have 5 fans in the motherboard and 3 built in the VGA and 7 in the case.

1. Francisco D

8GB of ram at 1600MHz is quite enough for gaming, in fact, you don't really need a super ram for gaming, what makes the difference in that sector is the graphics card. Check the benchmarks and buy a good price/quality one, that's the thing you should focus on!

About the overclocking, I'm no expert, but I know it increases the chances of a PC failure. I advise you to just try doing your things without overclocking, if then think you need more power, do it at your own risk.

Dispite everything, my final advise goes to: if you have a good CPU and GPU don't overclock, buy the RAM if you want to but don't mind the 2400MHz one. A thing you should look into is an SSD, that can really fast things up, I garantee you (the hard drive is the bottleneck in a PC's speed, so the faster it is the better)

RAM speed gets into play into loading of programs.You can get to know whether your motherboard supports 2400 MHz RAM by performing a scan at crucial.com site.

Looking into the amount of fans you have,the only thing you have to make sure that the processor has copper cooling having direct contact to processor like cooler(cooler master,antec etc. brands) and not the stock one,since you mentioned water cooling is costly in your country.

Also,since,you have so many fans,it can create so much noise after a certain time period as they collect dust over a time,so invest in a sound suppressor and clean the fans for optimal cooling.

Memory speed generally does not make a massive difference to the total PC's performance, and as Hovsep rightly observes, for games the most important component is the graphic card. Your PC is pretty fast as it is, so don't worry about the memory speed unduly. However, you might want to get an SSD, or perhaps and SSD cache drive which will speed up read access from the hard disc. It may not make a huge difference to gameplaying (depending on the game, I suppose), but everything will load much quicker to begin with.

The RAM answers itself as both the i7-3770K and the G1.Sniper only supports DDR3 up to 1600MHz. Technically you can buy higher spec RAM and run them at lower frequency but usually they will be more expensive.

Given your question I assume you don't have much prior experience with overclocking. Therefor I suggest not to do it to begin with. Basically you are voiding the warranty of your brand new system while doing something that can potentially 'kill' your GPU, CPU, motherboard and whatnot.

If some software shipped with your motherboard or GPU has an overclocking feature feel free to use it as they usually stay within safe range. Beyond that I would wait until 2-3 years later when most warranties are expired and you may need the additional performance.

Last but not least if you do want to overclock your CPU you should get a decent cooler to keep it on low temperatures. Since none is mention I assume you will be using the stock Intel cooler.

Memory speed would matter more for AMD APU's than it would for Intel I series processors. Get the highest affordable speed, but don't expect such a high performance gains from anything above 1866MHz. 1600MHz should be sufficient with decent savings over the highest speed RAM, but I would go one step higher if possible. GPU and processor speed means a lot more, especially with gaming concerns. Another thing to consider would be using an SSD for your OS and games, but the cost would probably be higher than you would like.

• Dalsan M

By the way, you are already installing an overclocked GPU into your system, so I really don't think you really have to go any further. The i7 processor is plenty fast, and any overclocking of the processor would show minimal performance gains for most games, if at all. I really would suggest trying the system out before making any changes. Tweak the system settings and have minimal background services running to ensure the system is running efficiently, then think about overclocking ONLY if you really think it would help. Generally, 10-15% increase in processor clock speed would be okay, especially with as many fans as you have in the computer case. The processor overclocking settings should be in the BIOS, but mostly depends on the motherboard being used. This should give you more information about overclocking your CPU: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279408-29-bridge-overclocking-guide-3770k

6. Matt S

The speed of RAM is not particularly relevant to PC game performance. So you should probably just buy the slower RAM, since it will provide almost identical performance for less.

well games benefit more from the graphic card memory, if you have dual or more screen then best to get a graphic card with plenty of ram also the ram speed can do good also.

you have a good RIG i am not sure if you will benefit a lot from overclocking...perhaps you will benefit from running games on ssd?

i think Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 on the board has a button dedicated for automatic overclocking?
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6170/four-multigpu-z77-boards-from-280350-plx-pex-8747-featuring-gigabyte-asrock-ecs-and-evga/6

also go for water cooling if you want to overclock.

• Hossam E

I have only one screen 20" and resolution 1600x900 i think :P
      I will check this link :D
      about water cooling its kinda expensive in my country and my rig too so i cant buy water cooling now :/